"The city of grey, brown, and black" Top 5 Page for this destination Shenyang by ShenyangPeter

Shenyang Travel Guide: 197 reviews and 367 photos

Every guide book will tell you that Shenyang is the last place you would ever want to visit. The tourist attractions pale in comparison to, well, everywhere else. The summers are HOT (a "dry" heat, though)and the winters are COLD. The sun sets very early in the winter, making December through February cold, sooty, and dark. The universities often have some trouble finding teachers willing to live in this city. Not even SARS came to Shenyang!

That being said, there are still signs of life here, and a visit here doesn't have to include wailing and gnashing of teeth. Hints of Manchu, Korean, and even Russian culture survive here. Like most places in China, the people are friendly here and the food is great. The cabbies haven't once tried to cheat me (I can't say the same about Wu Ai Market, of course...)! The springtime is wonderful here as bright green emerges from the grey, brown, and black that is the Shenyang winter. April-May is a very pleasant time to be here. The long summer nights can be made fun beating the heat with some spicy Shao Kao and plenty of cold Snow Beer. If you end up here during the winter, warm up with some hearty Dongbei food and rent some ice skates by Qingnian Park.

I have lived here since the Fall of 2002. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to drop me a line. If you want to play some 'weiqi' with me (I am a KGS 7k) or know some good places in China for weiqi, please let me know!

• Intro Written Dec 20, 2003

• calibre's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 8:42 PM

i am coming in february for 5 days? also, how cold is it in shenyang? are you interested in grabbing a coffee when i come? i am 25, aussie, and coming to catch up with a girl i met in xiamen. cheers, james my email is coontentment@yahoo.com

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2004 at 8:31 AM

Thank you Peter. Maybe I can surprise my friends next visit if I memorize these. If only I could read the menu..

ShenyangPeter's Related Pages

Ranked Member

Badges & Stats in Shenyang

Have you been to Shenyang?

Friends