"Hello anyone who finds this page" andrewwhite's Profile

Some friends

Now what do you put in a home page?
I know. I'll stick in a few friends.

1 cat is fine, 2 is perfect, 3 is a bit eccentric and 4 could be grounds for a Section under the Mental Health Act.

Jack & Ben are brothers and Tilly & Rosie were strays, scraping round my bins so I had to offer them a home - now they eat my grub, lie by the fire and generally ignore me, ungrateful little hussies.

See my album of cats if you like cute kittens.

A bit about me

I live near Leominster in England though I am Scottish by birth and passion!! I was brought up on a farm at North Berwick in East Lothian overlooking the mouth of the Firth of Forth.

The photograph is of Tantallon Castle which is about a mile from where I was brought up.
It was the seat of the Douglas Earls of Angus, one of the most powerful baronial families in Scotland.

In the late 14th century, they built the castle across a rocky promontory overlooking the Bass Rock. Its lofty towers, halls and strong defences provided an imposing residence befitting a feudal lord and his household.
Tantallon served as a noble fortification for more than three centuries and endured frequent sieges. During Cromwell's invasion in 1651 it suffered heavy damage and its days as one of the country's mightiest castles came to a close.
As a scampering 8 year old I won every single battle I fought there against the English.

& a bit more

For practically all of my working life I have been involved in Social Work, mainly with young people who offend but at other times in residential care and managing various resources.
39 years - They should really put me out to grass.
I WILL be out to grass on 5th April 2007 - Ahhh!, retirement, golf, walking, gardening, travelling & photography
My home companions are the cats - Jack, Ben, Tilly and Rosie and, sadly until December 2003 when she died, my 18 year old pup Beth.

and finally

Apart from travelling, mountains and photography my other passion is alpine plants. A winning combination of hobbies if you ask me.

Oh, and my son Martyn & two grandchildren Rebecca and Andrew - they're brilliant.

Oh, and Heart of Midlothian possibly the greatest football team in the world, or maybe not.

Oh, and my staff at the Youth Offending Service in Hereford for their kindness in not referring to me as the 'old duffer' until I'm out of earshot. They do, however, have an annoying habit of moving my stuff around the office then pretending that it was me who lost it, my, my they are pranksters, now what have I done with that file?.

My son & grandchildren as little 'uns.

Martyn's 38 now, Rebecca nearly 15 and Andrew 13.

Castle

Tilly is tucked up nicely in the Moroccan Castle I built her out of scrap bits of MDF. Old fool that I am!!
Carpetted throughout, lovely view of the sitting room with her own cuddly penguin toy.

My son Martyn & Lorraine, his mum.

The North Sea can be a bit on the cold side. I entered this in a photographic competition in the Hammersmith paper 34 years ago, got second prize & 2 rolls of film as my reward - those were the days, nice big prizes!!

• Intro Updated Apr 19, 2007

Share your travels with the world!

Join Now!
andrewwhite's Profile Photo

andrewwhite

“'For every minute you are angry, you lose sixty seconds of happiness' Ralph Waldo Emerson”

Real Name