"TIMOR LESTE" Top 5 Page for this destination East Timor by black_mimi99
East Timor Travel Guide: 194 reviews and 480 photos
Once upon a time, East Timor had a thriing little tourism business. That was 30 years ago, before Portuguese colonial colapse, Indonesian invasion, a long-running guerilla struggle for independence, a short spell of uttermayhem and finally an Australian-led UN intervention.
Today, the world’s newest nation is taking tentative steps towards getting back on the tourist map. It’s not a big place. It has a population of less than 1 million and an area of about 15,000sq km.
The 2963m summit of Mt. Ramelau is a very good place to start. It only takes a couple of hours to follow the walking track to the portuguese statue of the Virgin Mary which gazes out towards the north coast. The views are fantastic.
Dili, the relaxed little capital sprawls along the bayside, hemmed in by mountain only a few kilometres inland. The eastern end of the bay features a giant Christ statue, looking as if it has been beamed in from another ex-Portuguese colonial city, Rio de Janiero. The statue was an “Indonesian gift:, as is Dili’s huge Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception. Dili has wide range of hotels.
The Tais market is the place to pick up a piece of traditional tais (colorful woven sarongs), beautifully crafted Timore weaving.
Nearby, the ANZ Bank has an ATM machine that will dispenses US dollars (the official currency of East Timor)
Baucau is the country’s second-largest town, perched on a ridge high above the coast. Another pousada from the Portuguese era has been restored and kick-started back to life and this one is probably the most colourful place to stay in East Timor. Indeed, its pink paint job more than justifies its alternative name : Hotel Flamboyan.
Com, home to the Com Resort, an Australian-built weekend escape for Dili expats. Turning island the road runs to Los Palos and all the way to village of Tutuala, perched at the extreme eastern end of Timor, from where local fisherman with an outrigger canoes shuttles passengers accoss to nearby Jaco’s island, the absolute eastern end of East Timor. (Organise the charter before you leave Tutuala village at the top of the hill, it’s a long way back to find a fisherman if there is nobody down at the beach). The reef between the beach and Jaco island offers fine snorkelling. There’s excellent scuba diving from Bali right along the sweep of island to Papua New Guinea, and East Timor’s water are no exception. Until the UN arrival. They were aslo virtally undiscovered.
Atauro, the island that dominates the skyline directly offshore from Dili. Today there’s an interesting little Eco Lodge resort on the island and some great dive sites, particularly along the mountainous west coast.
Oecussi is an enclave of Timor Leste located some 70 kilometers inside Indonesian West Timor.
From Dili, we can see this statue, blessed Dili city....
- In a nutshell:New Country in Milenium
black_mimi99's Related Pages
East Timor Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "T I M O R - L E S T E : The Unexplored Land"
- "A nation under construction"
- "Yes, Tourists do come to Timor"
- " Timor trouble soon over??? "
- "TIMOR LESTE"
- "Beautiful and Rugged"
- "East Timor"
- See All...
- Things to Do in East Timor
- Hotels in East Timor
- Transportation in East Timor
- Nightlife in East Timor
- Restaurants in East Timor
- Shopping in East Timor
- Warnings and Dangers in East Timor
- See All...
Badges & Stats in East Timor
- 14 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 9 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to East Timor?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in East Timor
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 87 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos