"Ranah Minang - Land of Minang" West Sumatra Province by black_mimi99
West Sumatra Province Travel Guide: 236 reviews and 579 photos
West Sumatra is one of the most beautiful areas of Indonesia. It is mountainous and divided by three valleys. There are lovely lakes and spectacular volcanoes. But Minangkabau land is very special and has the most friendly population group of Indonesia.
Name of Minang Kabau is from some bull fight long ago where the people from Java came up with their biggest bull to fight the local people in central Sumatra. This area has no fierce animals, so the people had to use some cunning in order to win. The surprised Javanese losers named the locals the "winning bull" or Minang Kabau people.
The Minangkabau ethnic group (also known as Minang or Padang) is indigenous to the highlands of West Sumatra, in Indonesia
Minangkabau is the land of the female. Daughters are more appreciated than sons as they inherit the family's name, treasures and pride. Its people, the Minang, are the only tribe in Indonesia who still applies the matrilineal system in their society.
Ranah Minang has a distinct culture which distinguishes it from the rest of the island. A land of scenic beauty with blue green lakes and mountains, West Sumatera's centre of culture and tourism is bukittinggi in hightlands, North of provincial capital of Padang. Some of the beauty places such as:
Lake Maninjau and Lake Singkarak
The Harau Valley
Ngalau Indah Caves
Solok and Twin Lakes
Rimba Panti Nature Reserve
Grave of Siti Nurbaya
Fort De Cock
The Places of Bung Hatta was born
Pagaruyuang Palace (Burn down, and rebuilt now)
Ngalau Kamang Cave
And many more....
Please see my pages of Padang, Painan, Bukittinggi, Payakumbuh, Padang Panjang....
Traditional house of Miangkabau...
This is Minang Traditional wedding, The man will walk till the groom's house and then they will walk together till the man's house.... with full of wedding dress and accessoriss!!!
black_mimi99's Related Pages
West Sumatra Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "WestSUMATRA, an AMAZING MINANGKABAU"
- "SURFING HEAVEN"
- "Ranah Minang - Land of Minang"
- "West Sumatra"
- See All...
- Things to Do in West Sumatra Province
- Hotels in West Sumatra Province
- Transportation in West Sumatra Province
- Nightlife in West Sumatra Province
- Restaurants in West Sumatra Province
- Shopping in West Sumatra Province
- Warnings and Dangers in West Sumatra Province
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in West Sumatra Province
- 51 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to West Sumatra Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in West Sumatra Province
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos