"Tropical Forest Kingdom" Riau Province by black_mimi99
Riau Province Travel Guide: 1,078 reviews and 3,082 photos
The 3000 islands of the Riau province straddle the straits of Malacca,one of the oldest and busiest trading routes in the world. For centuriesthe islands have provided a safe haven to traders and sailors from Europe,India and China, retaining today the flavor of an ancient "crossroads ofthe world". The romantic history of this region is rich with tales of piracyand international conflict. Riau, which includes a large part of East Sumatra,is homeland to the Malays and the source of Indonesia's Malay-based nationallanguage.
Pekanbaru in Sumatra became the provincial capital in 1959, taking overfrom the former capital of Tanjungpinang on the island of Bintan.
Riau rich with the oil, that's why it called "Above Oil, Down Oil", mean Above is Palm Oil, Down is crude Oil.
Riau mainland is rich with tropical forest animal such as Sumatran Tiger (Panthera tigris sumatrae), Elephant, bears, tapir. However these forest habitats are rapidly being cleared to make way for agribusiness operation such as logging and oil palm plantation.
Sumatran elephants are smaller than the African elephants and so these elephants also have smaller ears.
And many Sumatran Elephants die each year cos of killing by shooting or poisoning cos of their two tusks.
The continuing loss of habitat is intensifying the crises to save this gorgeous animals.
The Sumatran tiger (Panthera tigris sumatrae) as its name suggests is found only on the island of Sumatra in Indonesia. It is the smallest of the tigers alive today.
Sumatran Tiger habitat has become fragmented with about 400 tigers inhabiting five National Parks and two Game Reserves. The largest population of about 110 tigers lives in Gunung Leuser National Park. Another 100 live in unprotected areas that will soon be lost to agriculture. The tigers that live in unprotected areas are very vulnerable to poaching as well as the killing of problem animals that come in contact with villagers encroaching upon the animal's habitat.
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Riau Province Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Riau Province & Indonesia in General"
- "RIAU-TANAH MELAYU"
- "Riau Map"
- "Tanjung Pinang"
- "Tropical Forest Kingdom"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Riau Province
- Hotels in Riau Province
- Transportation in Riau Province
- Nightlife in Riau Province
- Restaurants in Riau Province
- Shopping in Riau Province
- Warnings and Dangers in Riau Province
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Riau Province
- 45 Reviews
- 66 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Riau Province?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Riau Province
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 89 reviews, 102 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos