"Ladies Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau by black_mimi99
Chenonceau Travel Guide: 153 reviews and 429 photos
At the heart of the Loire Valley, cradle of the French Renaissance, Château de Chenonceau is one of the most beloved monuments, the best known and most visited. Built on the Cher River, whose waters reflect the beauty of its architecture, the Chateau de Chenonceau is the wonder of the Loire Valley. Its gardens are the shining example of taste and refinement of their inspiration.
The Château de Chenonceau is one of the most beautiful chateaux of the Loire. Also known as "Ladies Castle" (Château des Dames) and it was occupied mainly decorated almost exclusively by women:
Built in 1513 by Katherine Briçonnet, then embellished by Diane de Poitiers and Catherine de Medici and saved from the rigors of the Revolution by Mrs Dupin.
A room in the castle, the room of the five Queens, is dedicated to women who occupied: Mary Stuart, Margaret of France, Louise de Lorraine, Elizabeth of Austria and Elisabeth of France.
The castle has a main building with a square central hallway opening onto four pieces of hand and others. On the ground floor there is a chapel, the room of Diane de Poitiers and the green office work of Catherine de Medici. At the end of the hallway, you reach the gallery over the Cher. The rest of the ground floor has the bedroom and lounge Francois Louis XIV. Chenonceau is not only remarkable for its architecture and history but also by its rich collections: Renaissance furniture, tapestries from the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, and many paintings by masters such as Rubens, Tintoretto, Rigaud, Nattier and Van Loo.
All of these collections really amazing for Renaissance lover, enjoy it, took some photos, but REMEMBER NO FLASH!
- Pros:Amazing Castle, gardens, gorgeous collections
- Cons:Too many tourist in high season
- In a nutshell:Chateau with ladies Touch
From this small bridge beside the Diane Poitier's garden, we can visit a large beautiful forest.... more travel advice
Domes in the Building, the new wax museum around the ladies who made Chenonceau: Katherine Briçonnet, Diane de Poitiers,... more travel advice
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Chenonceau Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ladies Castle"
- "Chenonceau: With an ‘X’ and Without One."
- "Chenonceaux - Chateau of the Dames"
- "The most feminine of castles"
- "Moscow - Chenonceau"
- "Chenonceaux Palais sur le Cher"
- "Chenonceau has the most beautiful castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chenonceau
- Hotels in Chenonceau
- Transportation in Chenonceau
- Nightlife in Chenonceau
- Restaurants in Chenonceau
- Warnings and Dangers in Chenonceau
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Chenonceau
- 30 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Chenonceau?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chenonceau
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos