"Medieval and the Napoleonic Town" Pontivy by black_mimi99
Pontivy Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 71 photos
When we stay in Bretagne, departement Côtes-d'Armor for the 2nd time, we explore more around, and then we found this amazing town, which have 2 section, the medieval section and the Napoleonic section. Pontivy is inland in the Morbihan department of southern Brittany.
The heart of 'old' Pontivy is the old town, with the impressive 15th century Chateau des Rohan, a medieval moated castle in the centre of the town, and surrounded by streets lined with beautiful half-timbered houses.
The beautiful chateau reminds us of the wealth and importance of the Rohan dynasty, based here during the Middle Ages, and is certainly among the most impressive of the Brittany castles.
The other part of the town, instigated by Napoleon (and once known as Napoleonville), is a much more regimented design with straight roads of 18th century townhouses - Place Aristide-Briand is the heart of this part of Pontivy.
- In a nutshell:City with nice history
Walking around in this city is a nice thing to do, and especially walked along the canal... and we can find some history... more travel advice
A monk called Ivy built a bridge nearby over the river Blavet in the 7th century, and the town is named after him... more travel advice
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Pontivy Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pontivy
- Hotels in Pontivy
- Transportation in Pontivy
- Nightlife in Pontivy
- Restaurants in Pontivy
- Shopping in Pontivy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pontivy
- 8 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (59)
Have you been to Pontivy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pontivy
Photos in PontivySee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 87 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos