"A Rocky Plateau Village" Top 5 Page for this destination Rocamadour by black_mimi99
Rocamadour Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 167 photos
When I saw this village from far away.... Spectacular and speechless.
Rocamadour is situated atop a rocky plateau overlooking the Alzou Valley. The town is really a magnificent site, with houses and castle built onto the side of the vertical cliffs.
When We arrived, we didn't take elevator, but walking up and sometimes by stairs, even need hard work to walk up, but it's worthed with the view.
Rocamadour, about 100 miles north of Toulouse, is a popular destination for pilgrims for hundreds years, this is b'cos the powers of the Black Madonna housed in the Chapelle Notre Dame in the heart of the cité (old city). From 12th to 14th centuries, the town become an importand stop on the main pilgimage route to Santiago de Compostela.
- Pros:Religious interest, historical, beautiful architecture, and spectacular views
- Cons:Too many shops
- In a nutshell:Good for sports ...:)
The Merveilles cave (Cave of wonders) contains 20,000 years old (Magdalenien) prehistoric cave paintings, and beautiful... more travel advice
From Toulouse, drive north on N20 to Payrac and turn right onto D673 for Rocamadour (20 miles). more travel advice
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Rocamadour Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Rocky Plateau Village"
- "THE AMAZING ROCAMADOUR!"
- "Rocamadour mon amour"
- "Make the climb to Rocamadour"
- "THE CITY that you have not to miss"
- "A Site That Is Up, Down and in the Middle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rocamadour
- Hotels in Rocamadour
- Transportation in Rocamadour
- Restaurants in Rocamadour
- Warnings and Dangers in Rocamadour
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rocamadour
- 13 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Rocamadour?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rocamadour
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 87 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos