"Sancerre - wines of Loire Valley" Sancerre by black_mimi99
Sancerre Travel Guide: 36 reviews and 102 photos
I like exploring this city while I'm here, see the different environment, culture, view, people, activity and landscape. Let me guide you, and let's leave together to discovery of this old town and surrounding, even to the small path that not many tourist know.
Sancerre is an ancient walled town set high on a hill in one of France’s best loved, wine growing regions. This landscape, 300 m above sea level. As you approach by car, it looks as if it has been placed on a pedestal, from the edge of which, the Esplanade Porte César, you have a 180 degree panoramic view over the Loire valley to the forests of the Puisaye in the distance, the views over the vineyards and the Loire from the village are simply stunning.. Or climb the 195 steps up the Tour des Fiefs for an even more magnificent view. Well- kept and prosperous, with winding streets and tall, narrow, tightly packed houses, it is delightful place to wander around, stopping off maybe at a café or to try the local wine in the Quartier Vigneron.
Known principally for the production of red wine from the Pinot Noir grape until the 20th century, the Sancerre area was devastated by phylloxera in the late 19th century. The vineyards were replanted in Sauvignon Blanc.
With its hillside which dominates the Loire, the sancerre wine area was predetistedfor viticulture.
The local wine area stretches out on 14 villages with gorgeous hills perfectly suited to vineyards, well oriented, well exposed and protected. The chalky and flinty soils contribute to the wonderful quality of the wines. The two grapes varieties which prevail over Sancerre are The Sauvignon Blanc The Pinot Noir. White wine are fresh, fine and fruity, Rosé are soft and subtle, reds are perfumed and round.
- Pros:Wine, wine and cheese....
- In a nutshell:Enjoy the moment among the vineyards and wine testing...
Belfry of St. Jean, a 16th-century bell tower built by the prosperous merchants of Sancerre. more travel advice
This photo is taken from the Tower of fiefdoms. City perched above the vineyards overlooking the valley of the Loire and... more travel advice
- See All Viaduc de St. Satur
- See All Paragliding
- See All From Paris - Sancerre
- See All Centre de Secours
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Sancerre Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sancerre - wines of Loire Valley"
- "Jennifer's Awesome Trip to Sancerre"
- "Wine and very expensive biscuits"
- "Sancerre - wine and wine..."
- "French language school in Sancerre, France"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sancerre
- Hotels in Sancerre
- Transportation in Sancerre
- Restaurants in Sancerre
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sancerre
- 56 Reviews
- 90 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Sancerre?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sancerre
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 89 reviews, 102 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos