"Vitrè - Medieval Town" Vitré by black_mimi99
Vitré Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 66 photos
On the way from Laval to St. Malo, we stopped In Vitrè, cos this shining Château of Vitrè had catch my eyes from highway, so here we are....
Vitré is a medieval town very beautiful with a rich cultural heritage. It's a very good exemple of the Middle Age cities with castles, churches, very old houses (15th century), historic monuments, parks and nature. The site of Vitré was occupied in Gallo-Roman times. The name Vitré comes from the Gallo-Roman name "Victor" or "Victrix", after the owner of a farm in the region. The year 1000 marked the formal birth of Vitré, when the duke of Brittany Geoffrey I bestowed feudal powers upon Riwallon Le Vicaire, who was charged with keeping this strategic area as a buffer zone of the "Marches of Brittany".
The old city is full of twisting streets of half-timbered houses.... and we can enjoy each corner of the street that... more travel advice
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Vitré Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VITRE - ANOTHER MEDIEVAL TOWN"
- "A Castle with an Intact "Murder Hole" & More"
- "Vitrè - Medieval Town"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vitré
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Vitré?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vitré
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos