"Blaye citadel" Blaye Gironde by black_mimi99
Blaye Gironde Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 5 photos
When I we were driving to Puillac from Sancerre, the GPS took us to another itinerary, that we must took ferry from Blaye. So here we are exploring this small city in 2 hours while waiting ferry coming.
Blaye Situated on the Gironde estuary, Blaye is best known for its Citadel and for the red wine produced in the surrounding region.
Blaye fortress was built by Vauban in the 17th century. King Louis XIV wanted to protect the city of Bordeaux from a possible english attack. Therefore, Vauban decided to improve the medieval fortifications and, in order to completely close the estuary, he also built Fort Pâté on an island facing the Citadel of Blaye and Fort Médoc on the opposite bank. These three forts and Vauban’s system of defence are listed as World Heritage by the UNESCO.
- In a nutshell:Small city with long history
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Blaye Gironde Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Blaye Gironde
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Blaye Gironde?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blaye Gironde
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos