"IPOH - City of Millionaires" Ipoh by black_mimi99
Ipoh Travel Guide: 249 reviews and 803 photos
To visit this city is not in my schedule, but something happend while my visit in Penang, so I and my friend transit here for a while..... And cos of this transit trip I know more about Ipoh city, the capital city of Perak State. Nice city with many historical story about it.
Ipoh is named after a local tree known as “pokok ipoh” (Ipoh Tree) that can be found abundantly around Ipoh some time ago. Its tree sap is poisonous and therefore is used by the “orang asli” (native) on their blow darts as weapon.
There was also an old nickname for Ipoh, which is “City of Millionaires”. This is because Ipoh is located in the rich tin-bearing valley of the Kinta River. Vast fortunes were made in this mining town, especially in 1920s and 1930s.
This is the Perak flag, which devided into three horizontal bands of equal size. The upper band in white stands for Sultan, the center band in yellow stands for Raja Muda and the lower band in black stands for Raja DiHilir. The throne is shared in rotation amongst these three branches of the royal family.
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Ipoh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ipoh-of Pomelos, Limestone Caves & Cantonese Food"
- "The City That Tin Built"
- "Ipoh - Capital of Perak"
- "Welcome to Ipoh"
- "Ipoh city"
- "A Nostalgic Town"
- "Ipoh - Ngah Choy Kye"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ipoh
- Hotels in Ipoh
- Transportation in Ipoh
- Nightlife in Ipoh
- Restaurants in Ipoh
- Shopping in Ipoh
- Warnings and Dangers in Ipoh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ipoh
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Ipoh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ipoh
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos