"IPOH - City of Millionaires" Ipoh by black_mimi99

Ipoh Travel Guide: 258 reviews and 854 photos

Ipoh In My Eyes...

To visit this city is not in my schedule, but something happend while my visit in Penang, so I and my friend transit here for a while..... And cos of this transit trip I know more about Ipoh city, the capital city of Perak State. Nice city with many historical story about it.

Ipoh is named after a local tree known as “pokok ipoh” (Ipoh Tree) that can be found abundantly around Ipoh some time ago. Its tree sap is poisonous and therefore is used by the “orang asli” (native) on their blow darts as weapon.

There was also an old nickname for Ipoh, which is “City of Millionaires”. This is because Ipoh is located in the rich tin-bearing valley of the Kinta River. Vast fortunes were made in this mining town, especially in 1920s and 1930s.

Perak flag

This is the Perak flag, which devided into three horizontal bands of equal size. The upper band in white stands for Sultan, the center band in yellow stands for Raja Muda and the lower band in black stands for Raja DiHilir. The throne is shared in rotation amongst these three branches of the royal family.

Map of Ipoh

• Last visit to Ipoh: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 18, 2006

• harish_mikael's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2006 at 6:55 PM

so u know Ipoh by accident ya..hahaha..theres lot of beautiful places in Ipoh to explore... there will always be next time...

• metteks's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 11:31 AM

• ChrisThao's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 1:33 AM

I suppose I'll never end up in a such a city like that, at least not in this lifetime since I don't see myself ever being a "millionaire." Yet?!! :)

• hassan_abu's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 8:44 PM

So, did you try the famous Ipoh Pomello? Enjoy.. Abu

• cokes's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 8:22 PM

So you got de-railed and land up here. Lucky you ;0)

• H-TownJourneyman's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 2:39 PM

OOOOOOhhhh, so U have now stayed in the "city of millionaires" huh?! How cool! Have them send me some money!!! :)

black_mimi99

“You never know how far you can fly, until you spread your wings...”

Badges & Stats in Ipoh