"Candi Muara takus" Bangkinang by black_mimi99
Bangkinang Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 5 photos
This is the site of the remains of an ancient Buddhist temple, located 200 km from Pekanbaru at a point where the Kampar Kanan and Kampar Kiri river tributaries meet. It is believed to have been built in the 7th century because of certain similarities with the Kalasan temple near Yogyakarta.
Muara Takus, an ancient temple complex close to the bank of the river Kampar Kanan. Standing in a remote area amid Sumatra's tropical forest, the temple is a mysterious entity. Archeological experts have not yet been able to confirm when the temple has been built. Short inscriptions found among the ruins point to a date in the 11th or 12th century. Other relate the complex to the Buddhist empire of Srivijaya, which ruled in Sumatra in the 8th through 10th century. Some opinions go even back to the 4th century.
The temple complex is the largest ancient brick building in Sumatra. The tall stupa, known as Candi Mahligai, has the unusual shape of a tower, rather than the squat bell-shape normally associated with Buddhist architecture. Several other foundations can be seen nearby, like the Candi Bungsu, a platform on which once stood two stupas, and the Candi Tua, originally the largest structure of all, with two stairways leading up to yet another stupa.
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Bangkinang Travel Guide
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bangkinang
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (35)
Have you been to Bangkinang?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bangkinang
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos