"SOUTH BORNEO / KALIMANTAN SELATAN" Top 5 Page for this destination Banjarmasin by black_mimi99
Banjarmasin Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 151 photos
This region is known as the “Land of a Thousand Rivers”. Big and small rivers, wide, swamps and low lands are characteristic of this southern province.
The Provincial capital is Banjarmasin, lies a short distance from the mouth of the Barito River. It’s very charming place, never end activity on the river.
The population of South Kalimantan consist two groups : The Banjar who live along the coasts and make up the majority, and the Dayaks who in habit the upstream regions of the rivers.
The Banjar people are devout Moslems. They are friendly, like to help one another, and have a good sense of humor. They also are tolerant of other religions and respect one another. The friendly attitude of the Banjar, and their hospitality, tends to make visitors immediately feel at home in their midst.
The floating market of Banjarmasin is a traditional market at the estuary of the Kuin river, a tributary of the Barito. From daybreak boats come from villages. Buyers and sellers come to the market in small boats and close their transactions on the water. All daily needs can be obtained at this market. The best time to see market in action is in the early morning, between 4 am- 8 am.
Pulau Kembang is a delta at the estuary of the Barito Rivers which can be reached in 10 minutes from the Floating Market, by motorboat. Total delta is 60 hectares, and is inhabited by thousands monkeys and birds.
The diamond found and digging in Cempaka, but cut and polished in the Diamond Market of Martapura, that’s why Martapura known as Diamond Town or City of Diamond.
The diamond classified into four types : Petrous diamonds (yellow and of low quality), black diamonds (black and believed to process mystical powers), white diamonds and pink diamonds (the best sparkling with the colours of rainbow).
From here we can see manything under the bridge....nice view.... more travel advice
Traditional boat and huge cargo ship meet in Barito river.... more travel advice
Written Dec 31, 2005
MARTAPURA - City of Diamond
Written Dec 31, 2005
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Banjarmasin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Venetia of kalimantan. (haha)"
- "Life in the water - La vida en el agua"
- ">> city by the rivers "
- "SOUTH BORNEO / KALIMANTAN SELATAN"
- "Banjarmasin, the River Life Charm"
- "QUEEN ESTUARY: BANJARMASIN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Banjarmasin
- Hotels in Banjarmasin
- Transportation in Banjarmasin
- Shopping in Banjarmasin
- Warnings and Dangers in Banjarmasin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Banjarmasin
- 5 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (58)
Have you been to Banjarmasin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Banjarmasin
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 87 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos