"Bukittinggi - The heart of the highlands" Top 5 Page for this destination Bukittinggi by black_mimi99
Bukittinggi Travel Guide: 131 reviews and 276 photos
Bukittinggi (high hill) is one of the larger cities in West Sumatra, Indonesia, It is situated in the Minangkabau highlands, 90 km by road from the West Sumatran capital city of Padang, near the volcanoes Mount Singgalang, Tandikat, and Mount Marapi. At 930 m above sea level, the city has a cool climate.
The city was also known as Fort de Cock during colonial times in reference to the Dutch outpost established here in 1825 during the Padri War
The park includes a replica Rumah Gadang (literally: big house, with the distinctive Minangkabau roof architecture) used as museum of Minangkabau culture, and a zoo. The Dutch hilltop outpost Fort de Kock is connected to the zoo by the Limpapeh pedestrian overpass
Ngarai (canyon) Sianok lies at the outskirt of Bukittinggi. It is steep-canyon of about 100-150 metres high, stretches out for about four kilometers southwest of the town. very colourful and surroundind by a green valley with a winding at its bottom. . It is a valley with not more then a river and rock walls rising up to 120 meters at some places. It is possible to walk trough the canyon and at the end climb up along a small steep trial after which you can walk through the rice fields and Kota Gadang back to Bukittinggi.. The beauty of this panoramic landscape is hard to describe a if no words can precisely express this geological wonder. It is even harder to find its rival in the whole country.
- Pros:Can't stop say wowwww......
- In a nutshell:Satisfy Your Eyes.........
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Bukittinggi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The volcanic heart of Sumatra"
- ">>from rice barn to buffalo shaped houses"
- "Street in this Mountainous City"
- "BUKIT TINGGI - A HILL TOWN"
- "Bukittinggi - The heart of the highlands"
- "Bukittinggi Page"
- "Bukittinggi - High Hill"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bukittinggi
- Hotels in Bukittinggi
- Transportation in Bukittinggi
- Nightlife in Bukittinggi
- Restaurants in Bukittinggi
- Shopping in Bukittinggi
- Warnings and Dangers in Bukittinggi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bukittinggi
- 14 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Bukittinggi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bukittinggi
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 89 reviews, 102 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos