"Pontianak- My Hometown" Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak by black_mimi99
Pontianak Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 141 photos
Pontianak (Chinese: Khuntien) is the capital city of West Kalimanta/Borneo, It occupies an area of 107.82 km in the delta of the Kapuas River, the longest river in Indonesia
The city is best known for being located precisely on Equator line. An Equator Monument was built to mark the location of the line. The monument now become the icon of the city. That is why the city is nicknamed Kota Khatulistiwa (The City on Equator). It is also known for its large chinese population. The city is called Khuntien by the chinese.
The name Pontianak is come from Malay language, which is a type of vampire in Malay folklore. A pontianak is usually a woman who died during childbirth and becomes undead, seeking revenge and terrorizing villages. In Bahasa Indonesia, pontianak is known as kuntilanak.
Pontianak city had devided into two part by Kapuas river. When I was in yunior high I like swim in this river, but when I visit there again...mmm I will think twice before I jump....hahahaha:))
The river(approximately 1,143 km) rises in the mountains of Kapuas Hulu near the border with Sarawak, Malaysia, and flows west. It empties into the South China Sea about 20 km south of the city of Pontianak. The river drains the extensive Lake Sentarum area, an extensive protected reserve of wetlands and freshwater lakes, and intermittently flooded forests.
This is a Dayak Traditinal house, it called Rumah Betang/Rumah Panjang, mean Long House. The measures of long house are: 186 m long, 6 m wide 269 people live there.
We can see this bird mascot almost eveywhere in Pontianak..... Here the hornbill carry orchid, and on the feet is the... more travel advice
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Pontianak Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pontianak- My Hometown"
- "Pontianak, capital of West Kalimantan province"
- "Ponti and Shankouyang"
- "TRACKING THE EQUATOR"
- "~ di sini cinta pertama kali bersemi ~"
- "Cheapest food"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pontianak
- Hotels in Pontianak
- Transportation in Pontianak
- Nightlife in Pontianak
- Restaurants in Pontianak
- Shopping in Pontianak
- Warnings and Dangers in Pontianak
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pontianak
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (57)
Have you been to Pontianak?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pontianak
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 87 reviews, 98 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos