"Samarinda" Samarinda by black_mimi99
Samarinda Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 12 photos
Samarinda is the capital of the Indonesian province of East Kalimantan (Kalimantan Timur) on the island of Borneo. The city lies on the banks of the Mahakam River.
The name Samarinda originates from the description of the way in which the Buginese houses were constructed. At that time the custom was that all houses were built on a raft and generally had the same height. This had important social relevance, symbolising equality between residents; no person house, and thus no person was seen as higher or lower than another. They named the settlement 'Samarenda', meaning 'equal in height'. After hundreds of years of use the pronunciation of the name changed slightly and the city became known as Samarinda.
The arrival of the first Buginese on 21 January 1668 was chosen to mark the city's anniversary.
Wanna try standing free on the roof of the boat while running fast??? trsy it once and you will love it!!! more travel advice
black_mimi99's Related Pages
Samarinda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Go go borneo!"
- "to -Mahakam"
- "The twin cities of Samarinda and Tenggarong"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Samarinda
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Samarinda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Samarinda
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 86 reviews, 97 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Jakarta Intro, 71 reviews, 97 photos, 3 travelogues
- Sancerre Intro, 56 reviews, 90 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bordeaux Intro, 48 reviews, 67 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pegunungan Dieng Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kuta Intro, 36 reviews, 33 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 20 reviews, 40 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Chenonceau Intro, 30 reviews, 30 photos
- Pekanbaru Intro, 24 reviews, 35 photos, 1 travelogue
- Pontianak Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos