"Gambia" Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia by sachara

The Gambia Travel Guide: 784 reviews and 1,714 photos

a small country, but enough to see

The Gambia is a very small country in West Africa with a length of 320 KM and a breadth of hardly 35 KM. The Gambia is situated at the two banks of the river the Gambia and enclosed by Senegal at three sides.

The first time we visited the Gambia in 1996. We stayed in a hotel at the coast, but we also drove inland to the Wassu Stone circles, spent the night close to Georgetown and came back partly by boat. we also visited Senegal, the area around Kafountine, not far from the coast south of The Gambia.

A few years after our visit the Wassu stonecircles and the area around Georgetown were declared UNESCO World Heritage sites.

In 2004 we started our transsahara trip from the Gambia. After we had prepared everything at the coast like visa for Mauritania and the 22 years old car, we head east to Soma. Here we encountered the first problems with car. Later the day we crossed the border southeastwards into Senegal.

In 2012 we visited The Gambia for the third time. We took the ferry and went to Senegal, the Fathala Park, just north of the border. We also visited Juffureh and Kunta Kinteh Island (James Island), also declared UNESCO World Heritage Site. We visited Banjul, the crocodile pool and museum in Bakau and the fishing town Tanji. Not all the information of my 2012 trip is at the this pageg yet.

• Last visit to The Gambia: Aug 2012
  • Intro Updated Apr 20, 2013

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Your excellent page has thoroughly wetted my appetite for the visit we have planned for next January. I don't think we'll get as far off the beaten path as you did, as this will be a bit of a relaxing luxury trip for us, but nevertheless we plan to see as much of local life as we can. The markets and the wrestling match really appeal to me, and I love the scenery! Yes, even the red dust ;-)

• sachara's Profile Photo
      Jul 22, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Hi Sarah, I saw you booked the Gambia for the winter. August last year we visited again. Thaty week we did lot of things around the resort area in day or half day trips. I hope to write tips about it in the upcoming months.

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Now i am able to question my Gambian Friend about details of his homeland - details are much appreciated - better than Lonely Planet ;-)))

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM

• sachara's Profile Photo
      Oct 22, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Ken, now I am retired since this month, I hope to update my Gambia page very soon after my visit last august.

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Travel as much as you possibly can before you're too deeply entrenched in the Silver generation ;-)))

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2011 at 8:48 AM

Hello, Ali! Thanks for your interesting virtual tour!~ Take care!~

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 25, 2009 at 1:42 PM

You have presented a fabulous depiction of the region and things to see/do. Thank you for the good work put into it.

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Ali - you're truly blessed --- you also went to Gambia! Sigh, I can only dream...but maybe someday...dolphins in the Gambia River? Intersting. And the Wassu stones ---- like Stonehenge?

• AFRICAMEET2011's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2008 at 2:30 PM

Hi Ali, the sign-up link is on my homepage now!

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2008 at 9:36 AM

Looks a lot like some of the big cattle ranches I've been to in British Columbia, except for the climate. The famous Gang Ranch has more than 1,000,000 acres and 12,000 head.

• djalecc's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2007 at 8:46 AM

excellent ! We are going in a weeks time, glad to hear we can hire mopeds, how much are they and where do you get them?

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Great impressions, Ali! Wow, 4 days delay due to repairs - but better with a fixed car than having a breakdown in the middle of the Sahara! I enjoyed your local customs, too! Happy Easter!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in The Gambia

Have you been to The Gambia?

Latest Activity in The Gambia