"Gambia" Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia by sachara
The Gambia Travel Guide: 775 reviews and 1,683 photos
The Gambia is a very small country in West Africa with a length of 320 KM and a breadth of hardly 35 KM. The Gambia is situated at the two banks of the river the Gambia and enclosed by Senegal at three sides.
The first time we visited the Gambia in 1996. We stayed in a hotel at the coast, but we also drove inland to the Wassu Stone circles, spent the night close to Georgetown and came back partly by boat. we also visited Senegal, the area around Kafountine, not far from the coast south of The Gambia.
A few years after our visit the Wassu stonecircles and the area around Georgetown were declared UNESCO World Heritage sites.
In 2004 we started our transsahara trip from the Gambia. After we had prepared everything at the coast like visa for Mauritania and the 22 years old car, we head east to Soma. Here we encountered the first problems with car. Later the day we crossed the border southeastwards into Senegal.
In 2012 we visited The Gambia for the third time. We took the ferry and went to Senegal, the Fathala Park, just north of the border. We also visited Juffureh and Kunta Kinteh Island (James Island), also declared UNESCO World Heritage Site. We visited Banjul, the crocodile pool and museum in Bakau and the fishing town Tanji. Not all the information of my 2012 trip is at the this pageg yet.
In summer 2012 we visited James Island, also known as Kunta Kinteh Island. James Island is a very small island in the... more travel advice
Basse Santa Su was the most eastern town we visited in Gambia. From here we headed south to the Senegalese border. In... more travel advice
- See All Dust, dust, dust
- See All The reason of the flat tyre
- See All Benches of stone
- See All Ker Serigne, unpaved roads and...
sachara's Related Pages
The Gambia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Gambia"
- "NATURE OF THE GAMBIA: palm wine days"
- "The smiling coast"
- "Gambia , Beautiful Gambia"
- "THE GAMBIA"
- See All...
- Things to Do in The Gambia
- Hotels in The Gambia
- Transportation in The Gambia
- Nightlife in The Gambia
- Restaurants in The Gambia
- Shopping in The Gambia
- Warnings and Dangers in The Gambia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in The Gambia
- 89 Reviews
- 159 Photos
- 3 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to The Gambia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in The Gambia
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 70 reviews, 365 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues