"Mauritania" Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania by sachara

Mauritania Travel Guide: 645 reviews and 1,407 photos

For many years allready I was thinking of visiting Mauritania and finally in November 2004 I did it.
In this country of nomads I liked especially to visit the oasis towns and desert towns and to cross the desert in the area between Tidjikja and Atar.

Another wish I had was to cross the Sahara from tropical Africa to Europe. In this trip I could combine both. My visit to Mauritania was a part of this transsahara crossing, starting in Gambia and ending in the south of Spain. During the trip we visited Gambia, Senegal, Mali, Mauritania, Western Sahara and Morocco.

We did this trip with two old 4WDs of Marius Dussel, a reporter from Leeuwarden, having a small Dutch organisation Transsahara at that time. The two days we crossed the desert from Tidjikja to Chinquetti, we needed a guide to show us the way. Baba Ulabdi Nega from Tiddjikja was an excellent guide, knowing the area as his backyard.

The off-road trip was very hard for the two old cars, but we were lucky to have Johan as fellow-traveller, who knew a solution for every problem.

In the desert we encountered sand, gravel and rocks, but the most spectular was the crossing of the sanddunes.

• Last visit to Mauritania: Nov 2004
  • Intro Updated Jul 11, 2012

• TrendsetterME's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Hey Ali, perfect and helpful tips, amazing photos, very nice work .. :)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Hi, Ali!~ What a great adventure you had! Thanks for sharing your story here! Amazing views! ><><><><><

• giampiero6's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Your pages look absolutely amazing now!!! shows so much richness!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2010 at 2:09 PM

You surely are the adventurer to take such a trip in the and/desert. It would give me some trepidation wondering if I would get out. Good job of describing the sites and pictures to boot.

• le_routard's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2009 at 11:50 AM

hi, asside from the locusts and the dunes are there any dangers from bandits, political/religious extremeists, etc?

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2008 at 7:59 AM

Ali, this was a fascinating read - you did shoot me right into the desert :-)) Mauritania is now on my wishlist, serious, because I love this contrast between sand and rocks of all kinds. And sleeping under the stars... :-))

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Yes, I'm sure the silence of the desert at night must have been a unique experience -- except when you camped by the railway or heard those bleating goats all night. A fascinating page about an unusual journey!

• pfsmalo's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2007 at 9:58 AM

Hi Ali, Some lovely photos and brilliant tips have helped me plan my trip. Thanks

• Jun 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM

u can see that memoirecontinent.blogspot.co... good pics

• Feb 26, 2007 at 6:06 AM

hey ali..how have u been? and how were your parties? arabian sands are too hot for me:s!

sachara Visits Here Frequently!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Mauritania

Have you been to Mauritania?

Latest Activity in Mauritania