"Mauritania" Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania by sachara
Mauritania Travel Guide: 679 reviews and 3,294 photos
For many years allready I was thinking of visiting Mauritania and finally in November 2004 I did it.
In this country of nomads I liked especially to visit the oasis towns and desert towns and to cross the desert in the area between Tidjikja and Atar.
Another wish I had was to cross the Sahara from tropical Africa to Europe. In this trip I could combine both. My visit to Mauritania was a part of this transsahara crossing, starting in Gambia and ending in the south of Spain. During the trip we visited Gambia, Senegal, Mali, Mauritania, Western Sahara and Morocco.
We did this trip with two old 4WDs of Marius Dussel, a reporter from Leeuwarden, having a small Dutch organisation Transsahara at that time. The two days we crossed the desert from Tidjikja to Chinquetti, we needed a guide to show us the way. Baba Ulabdi Nega from Tiddjikja was an excellent guide, knowing the area as his backyard.
The off-road trip was very hard for the two old cars, but we were lucky to have Johan as fellow-traveller, who knew a solution for every problem.
In the desert we encountered sand, gravel and rocks, but the most spectular was the crossing of the sanddunes.
At the mainstreet, not far from our campsite, we found finally a place where we could sit outside in the shade in the... more travel advice
When you go into the desert, especially the route between Tidjikja and the Adrar Region (Atar/ Terjit/ Chinquetti), you... more travel advice
- See All Mauritania, 80% Sahara
- See All Travelling by air
- See All Nouadhibou, colourful streetlife
- See All Dwellings along the railway...
Written Dec 25, 2004
People of Mauritania
Written Jan 13, 2005
Desert crossing Tidjikja - Chinquetti
Written Jan 4, 2005
The longest train in the world: Zouérat-Nouadhibou
Written Jan 13, 2005
Travelling, meeting and living along the railway
sachara's Related Pages
Mauritania Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mauritania - The Land of the Moors"
- "Looking for Gaia"
- "MAURITANIAN ADVENTURES"
- "Salaam! Yakhe Lebass!"
- "danielperals's new Mauritania Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mauritania
- Hotels in Mauritania
- Transportation in Mauritania
- Nightlife in Mauritania
- Restaurants in Mauritania
- Shopping in Mauritania
- Warnings and Dangers in Mauritania
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mauritania
- 91 Reviews
- 325 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (184)
Have you been to Mauritania?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mauritania
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues