"Mali" Top 5 Page for this destination Mali by sachara
Mali Travel Guide: 1,006 reviews and 2,874 photos
Long before I visited Mali in 1989 for the first time, I had the wish to go there. The famous and mysterious names like Timbuktu, Djenne and Segou attracted me. I was also very interested in the adobe-architecture, I red some books and visited exhibitions of this earth-architecture. Also the culture of the Dogons intrigued me.
I even thought, if I have visited Mali (and Yemen, another intriguing country, that I also visited in 1989) I could stop travelling, but -as you have a look at my travelpages- that was not the fact. In the contrary, it inspired me even to travel more and more.
I found out indeed that Mali is for me the most fascinating Sub-saharian country in many aspects like culture, architecture and nature. I really enjoyed my Malinese experiences.
After my first visit in 1989 I visited Mali again in 2004, this time the most western part of the country, the region of Kayes. In 2009 I visited many of the same places as in 1989. Some things have changed, but some have not. In 2009 I came to Timbuktu for the first time where I attended the fantastic Festival au Desert in Essakane, 70 km northwest of Timbuktu.
I like the people in West Africa, so I do in Mali. The wunderful people of Mali are hospitable, friendly and knew the art of living. Allthough Mali is nowadays one of the poorest countries of Africa, the people of Mali are very proud of their rich history and cultural wealth. In Mali live Bambara, Peul, Fulani, Dogon, Songhai and Tuareg. All with their own culture and cultural heritage.
My first visit to Mali in 1989 was part of a trip to five West-African countries. We started and ended in Bamako. From Bamako we went first deep-south to the border of Cote d' Ivoire. Back in Mali we visited the Dogon Country and the River Niger with Mopti and Djenne. You can read more details of this trip at my pages of:
Bankas & Bandiagara escarpment
Djiguibambo & Dogon Country
My second visit to Mali in 2004 was part of a Transsahara trip, starting in Gambia, passing Senegal and Mali and continuing to Mauritania, Western Sahara and Morocco. For this trip read: Region of Kayes
For my Mali trip of 2009 look at:
Timbuktu & Essakane & Festival au Desert
I will continue with building the pages of:
Senoussa (village close to Djenne)
And several Dogon pages:
Bandiagara, Dourou & Begnimato, Ende & Songo
And I will update the pages of Bamako, Djenne & Mopti.
For many people in the world Timbuktu has an air of mystery. Many people think about this legendary city in Mali more as... more travel advice
Everywhere in the towns of Mali you can buy snacks along the street. In the Centre Comercial of Kayes we saw the stall... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Mali Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "African highlight"
- "MALI: AN AMAZING COUNTRY"
- "Difficult, Wearying but Rewarding"
- "MALI - I left my heart there......"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mali
- Hotels in Mali
- Transportation in Mali
- Nightlife in Mali
- Restaurants in Mali
- Shopping in Mali
- Warnings and Dangers in Mali
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mali
- 220 Reviews
- 600 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (103)
Have you been to Mali?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mali
Videos in MaliSee All Videos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues