"Libya" Top 5 Page for this destination Libya by sachara
Libya Travel Guide: 1,094 reviews and 4,147 photos
Allready for a long time I wanted to visit Libya. After I had to cancel my first booked trip in the early eighties, I finally visited Libya for the first time in december 1998.
This trip was an incredible experience. In the first place as desert- and Saharalover I saw the most spectacular desert landscapes of sanddunes and dark basalt monolyths, but also endless plains covered with stones. I made two desert crossings of 4 and 5 days and visited the attractive oasis towns of Ghadames, Ghat and El Awaynat.
Though my first visit to Libya was mainly a desert trip to the deep southwest of the country, I visited on my way back to Tunisia the ruins of the ancient Roman city of Sabratha at the coast of the Mediterrenean west of Tripoli.
In March 2006 I was back in Libya to watch the solar eclipse at the 29th March. At this day we travelled to the remote area of Jalu at the heartline of the eclipse, five hours south of Benghazi. The eclipse had here a duration of about 4 minutes.
Travelling along the Mediterrenean coast we visited this time also as many ancient Roman and Greek towns as possible and stayed a few days in the capital Tripoli.
In Benghazi the Sharia Omar al-Mukhtar is the main shopping street with lots of shops. When I visited Benghazi in 2006... more travel advice
If you collect stamps, Libya was the place to be. If not, it was a nice souvenir to bring back home. In Tripoli we went... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Libya Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Libya revisited"
- ""Socialist People's Libyan Arab Jamahiriya"- Libya"
- "Libya, the unknown country"
- "Sanddunes and more..........."
- "Socialist People’s Libyan Arab Jamahiriyah"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Libya
- Hotels in Libya
- Transportation in Libya
- Nightlife in Libya
- Restaurants in Libya
- Shopping in Libya
- Warnings and Dangers in Libya
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cabo San Lucas
- Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge Hotels
- Taughannock Falls State Park Hotels
- Udaipur Hotels
- Legaspi City
- Sanibel Island
- South Korea
- Bangor Hotels
- Sequoia National Park
- Wicklow Mountains Hotels
- Bulacan Hotels
Badges & Stats in Libya
- 74 Reviews
- 511 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Libya?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Libya
Videos in LibyaSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues