"Libya" Top 5 Page for this destination Libya by sachara

Libya Travel Guide: 1,094 reviews and 4,147 photos

Allready for a long time I wanted to visit Libya. After I had to cancel my first booked trip in the early eighties, I finally visited Libya for the first time in december 1998.

This trip was an incredible experience. In the first place as desert- and Saharalover I saw the most spectacular desert landscapes of sanddunes and dark basalt monolyths, but also endless plains covered with stones. I made two desert crossings of 4 and 5 days and visited the attractive oasis towns of Ghadames, Ghat and El Awaynat.

Though my first visit to Libya was mainly a desert trip to the deep southwest of the country, I visited on my way back to Tunisia the ruins of the ancient Roman city of Sabratha at the coast of the Mediterrenean west of Tripoli.

In March 2006 I was back in Libya to watch the solar eclipse at the 29th March. At this day we travelled to the remote area of Jalu at the heartline of the eclipse, five hours south of Benghazi. The eclipse had here a duration of about 4 minutes.

Travelling along the Mediterrenean coast we visited this time also as many ancient Roman and Greek towns as possible and stayed a few days in the capital Tripoli.

• Last visit to Libya: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 16, 2009

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Hello, Ali! You have great tips and pictures, thanks for sharing!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM

It sounds like you got your feet in the sand there. Trekking across the desert must have been one of those to always cherish. Good presentation

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2009 at 7:38 AM

Thanksso much for such a detailed tour of these ancient sites and for telling how it is from beautiful mosaics & paintings, a magical eclipse, even the garbage left behind by thoughtless tourists or local visitors.

• Arkeolog's Profile Photo
    Mar 18, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Fantastic page here. i liked everthing here on your page esp Leptis Magna tips...

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Feb 16, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Hi Ali! You've had some great trips and it's great you went to Libya --- I want to walk on the Benghazi? Townhall grounds (looks like a nice plaza) and amazing ruins and mosaics too....Greetings from Arizona, Norman :)

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 5:18 AM

Wonderful page - I can't believe I haven't stumbled across it sooner! I was fascinated by your descriptions & photos of places such as Ghadames & Ghat, and especially your wonderful desert Christmas

• Jan 31, 2008 at 9:43 AM

We went to the Essaa near the clocktower and were ripped off. No menu but we assumed it would be about the price in this review. We ended up paying about 40 dinars for dried-up fish. NOT recommended.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2007 at 4:05 AM

We visited the same restaurants in Libya - Ptolomais, Tripoli. Libya anyhow was a great experience Greetz

• janetanne's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Fantastic pages Sachara! You are so lucky to have travelled to these so very exotic and historical places. How did you do that?

• Jun 16, 2007 at 1:35 PM

hey ali darling...how're u today? was with marimar last thurs at the beach and we remembered u:^) and sorta argued how to pronounced 'sachara'..ch as in K or CH:D and wondering if it's derived from sakara in egypt! arab gossips,lol...hugs:^)

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Libya