"Volta region" Volta Region by sachara

Volta Region Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 50 photos

In 1980 I visited for the first time the Volta region. After a few days in Ho and Kpandu I travelled to Nkonya Wuropong. With a lot of Ghanaian volunteers -and some European- I helped with the start of building a community centre in Nkonya Wuropong.

For me it was the first experience with Africa below the Sahara. I decided to stay for a few weeks in one village for meeting the people instead of touring around by truck or bus and see all from a distance.
It was one of the most impressive experiences in my life and I did met a lot of wonderfull people.

In 1989 I visited the Volta Region again, but didn't reach Nkonya Wuropong because of very bad road conditions.

• Last visit to Volta Region: Dec 1989
  • Intro Updated Aug 9, 2010

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    Apr 29, 2007 at 1:48 AM

you have experienced so much in western Africa, which is so different to the countries with Arab influence in east of Africa, especially Sudan

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 9:48 PM

The best way to travel is not just traveling but really living in the country! We obviously agree on that point and you had a very exciting experience in Ghana! That must be very frustrating to turn back 3 miles away from your goal!

• ZiOOlek's Profile Photo
    Dec 8, 2005 at 9:08 AM

Your Ghana page is great! I love it and I hope I will manage to visit Ghana soon. It is my dream.:) Good luck.

• Oct 27, 2005 at 1:03 AM

Your photo of Lake Volta is great. I lived in the Volta Region from 1968-72 when I was a teacher in a town called Kpando which is very near Lake Volta

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 1:26 AM

Would like to try Fufu and Palmnut Soup.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 6:37 AM

I don't know why, but I like the satrs so much, they always shines ;-D

• Alpha_Ghana's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2004 at 5:23 AM

You really like drumming and dancing in the villages, don't you? Next time I will visit "your" village, I did the same in Burkina Faso when I was a scout.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2003 at 12:47 PM

A very interesting page with great insights into what it is like living in an African village - something that I never did!

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2003 at 3:25 AM

not sure if I make it there, but I loved to see your impressions here of the village life and volunteering!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Riga in May ”

Badges & Stats in Volta Region

Have you been to Volta Region?

Latest Activity in Volta Region