"Ghana" Top 5 Page for this destination Ghana by sachara

Ghana Travel Guide: 1,483 reviews and 4,063 photos

A country to come back and to come back and .....

In 1980 was Ghana, the first country I visited south of the Sahara.
And I fel in love ... with Africa, with Ghana and with the Ghanaian people.

I stayed for seven weeks and came back again in 1983 for 4 weeks....

And I did come back again in 1989 and 2003.

In 1980 I spent most of the time in the Volta region. I worked as a volunteer with a lot of Ghanaian volunteers from everywhere out of Ghana. We start to build a community centre. Many people of the village worked with us.

If you have been for a while in the countryside, it is very crowded in the towns like Accra and Kumasi.
But it is fantastic to walk around and to look what's going on.

• Pros:I love the very hospitable people of Ghana
  • Cons:Homesick if I'm not there
  • In a nutshell:How and when can I go back
  • Last visit to Ghana: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2004

• Tasia's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 5:57 AM

Lovely pages, after them you won't be indifferent with Africa...

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 15, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Your pages are a minefield of Info - Evonne is now in Salaga, after a week's training in Tamale ;-)))

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 9:24 PM

1980-2003! I can understand what you mean about big changes! Same for a lot of places in the Algerian Sahara. An excellent page from an almost insider! Staying for some time in a place gives a very different feeling!

• FruitLover's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2006 at 5:34 AM

Enjoyed very much this page, ali ! Thanx. My head is similar to yours: markets[special fruits?], making local friends, home-stay, rituals, drumming... Avi

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2005 at 7:02 AM

Very informative and engaging page, Ali! ... love the people pictures on these pages ... truly fascinating.

• TomFoolery's Profile Photo
    Sep 3, 2005 at 11:30 AM

Fascinating read.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 11:09 AM

A friend of mine is just visiting Ghana - so it is nice to have a look at what she will expect there! I hope you are doing fine, Ali!

• hunwagner's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2005 at 2:35 AM

Ghana was considered as a possible destination twice last year, but got dumped in favour of North-east Africa in summer and Maluku in winter. Hope to make it there eventually - even bought the guidebook already!

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2005 at 3:14 AM

Lovely Ghana page...I can not but agree with you, that, taking care of ones little sister could be tiring. Well done page.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2004 at 7:16 PM

Exelent page because of wise and interesting writings and awesome pictures. Very exotic and interesting country and culture, I see.

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Ghana