"Chad" Chad by sachara

Chad Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 130 photos

At the crossroads of Arab and black Africa

In January 2004 I visited Chad for 10 days. We stayed in N'Djamena, the capital of Chad, and made a tour of 4 days north of N'Djamena to Douguia and Lake Chad.

Because of the dangerous situation in the west of Sudan, we couldn't enter Sudan overland, so we did'n't travel to the east of Chad either. We had to stay a longer time in N'Djamena to arrange our flight to Ethiopia. At the end we had only 4 days left to travel around.

It's a pity because I was very anxious to see more of this country with 7,5 million inhabitants at the crossroads of the northern Arab and southern black Africa.The north is a part of the Sahara Desert and the south is tropical.

N'Djamena, the capital

N'Djamena is one of the pleasants cities in the Sahel. For me N'Djamena was an easygoing city. When I walked, I saw people of the north and south, forming a mosaic of divers ethnic groups.

Lake Chad

The area around Lake Chad and N'djamena is in the centre of the country, which has a Sahelian blend of scrub and desert.

Lake Chad was once one of the largest fresh water lakes in the world, before it started to dry up. In the dry season it has still a surface of 10.000 sq. KM, allthough it dried up totally during the worst of the Sahel drought in 1984. In the rainy season the surface of the Lake Chad can grow to 25.000 sq. KM.

• Last visit to Chad: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2008

• cristinainNDJ's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2012 at 2:30 AM

It was very interesting for me to read about your stay in Chad. At the moment I'm in N'djamena so going trough your pictures I noticed that there a lot of changes: new roads, less trees, lake chad is drier...

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

Hello, Ali! ~ It was interesting to read about your stay in Chad! Thanks for your thorough description!~

• nora_south_africa's Profile Photo
    Feb 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM

good practical info..thanx

• Mar 24, 2008 at 11:35 PM

This is excellent info, and I am thankful she has posted all of it. Also, I just found a site dedicated completely to chad - www.chadnow.com - and I would recommend it to anyone else interested in Chad.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2008 at 10:48 PM

Awesome page of Chad. Enjoyed a virtual tour. The rock does really look like an elephant. The market place, shrinking Lake Chad, the photos of the people and the colorful vibrant wall paintings. Thanks for sharing. SL :)

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Feb 20, 2007 at 6:53 PM

excellent page on chad, a country i just read about in the national geographic's march issue. they have covered a national park that is the last central african sanctuary for elephants. you have excellent tips here :-)

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 2:46 AM

Excellent tips. There is a very good chance I will be visiting Chad soon.

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Aug 29, 2006 at 6:45 AM

What an interesting country! Lake Chad and the Chari River look very beautiful; too bad Lake Chad is shrinking now

• atufft's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2006 at 9:37 PM

Thanks for the notes and images on Chad. It is very sad that the global warming and excessive dependence on Lake Chad is making it shrink so much!

• hindu1936's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2006 at 4:40 AM

Hi ali, as our own adventuring time draws nearer we are finding just how valuable the experience of somone like you is for making our own plans. Especially so for Africa. Enjoy you travels and maybe we will see you either in Africa or NL joe

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour. ”

Badges & Stats in Chad