"Chad" Chad by sachara
Chad Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 130 photos
In January 2004 I visited Chad for 10 days. We stayed in N'Djamena, the capital of Chad, and made a tour of 4 days north of N'Djamena to Douguia and Lake Chad.
Because of the dangerous situation in the west of Sudan, we couldn't enter Sudan overland, so we did'n't travel to the east of Chad either. We had to stay a longer time in N'Djamena to arrange our flight to Ethiopia. At the end we had only 4 days left to travel around.
It's a pity because I was very anxious to see more of this country with 7,5 million inhabitants at the crossroads of the northern Arab and southern black Africa.The north is a part of the Sahara Desert and the south is tropical.
N'Djamena is one of the pleasants cities in the Sahel. For me N'Djamena was an easygoing city. When I walked, I saw people of the north and south, forming a mosaic of divers ethnic groups.
The area around Lake Chad and N'djamena is in the centre of the country, which has a Sahelian blend of scrub and desert.
Lake Chad was once one of the largest fresh water lakes in the world, before it started to dry up. In the dry season it has still a surface of 10.000 sq. KM, allthough it dried up totally during the worst of the Sahel drought in 1984. In the rainy season the surface of the Lake Chad can grow to 25.000 sq. KM.
At a distance of 5km La Caravelle is a bit far from the citycentre and the Avenue Charles de Gaulle, but it's the only... more travel advice
To travel around north of N'Djamena in the area of Douguia and Lake Chad, you need your own 4WD transport. I didn't see... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Chad Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "C H A D"
- "Jeremy_D555's new Chad page"
- "Marabus country"
- "Dazzy's Chad Page"
- "art-ur's new Chad Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Chad
- Hotels in Chad
- Transportation in Chad
- Restaurants in Chad
- Warnings and Dangers in Chad
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chad
- 37 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (159)
Have you been to Chad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chad
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues