"Burkino Faso" Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso by sachara
Burkina Faso Travel Guide: 388 reviews and 2,058 photos
Burkina Faso is a relaxed country with friendly people.
The first time I visited Burkina Faso was in 1989, travelling from Togo to Mali. I spent only a few days in the country and in Ouagadougou.
In 2013 I came back for a longer time and visited the southwest of the country, like Bobo, Banfora, Sindou, Gaoua. In 2013 I encountered a country of art, culture and traditions. Updates and new pages will follow. See links to the separate pages.
We spent a few days in Ouaga and from there we visited Laongo, the Opera Village, Bazoulé, the holy crocodile lake and the Mossi palace inKokologo.
Bazoulé, crocodile lake
In the southwest we visited Bobo and Banfora. Around Banfora we visited Lake Tengrela, the Karfiguela Falls and the holy baobab in Toumousseni.
We stayed a few days in the countryside of Sindou, visited several Senoufou villages, the Sindou peaks and the troglodyte villages at the escarpment.
Sindou, Senoufou country
Kankalaba & Tourni
Around Gaoua in the south we visited Lobi villages, the World Heritage site of Loropeni, the Gan king in Obiré and the diviner in Kampti.
Gaoua, Lobi country
In Tiebelé we visited the Kassena houses and west of Pô the Nazinga Game Ranch with elephants.
My first experience with Burkina Faso in 1983 looks meanwhile far away. In that year I was at the border at the Ghanaian side. The border was closed in thosae days. How fascinating a closed border can be.
In 1983 was a difficult time in Ghana with lack of everything and curfew. I stayed a few weeks in Bolgatanga, took with some Ghanaian friends at a day-off the Paga bus to look at the border of BF. Many Ghanaians go there to look, if they could smuggle or buy some goods from BF. For smuggling you had to know the small paths very well. The frontier guards didn't let us in.
The most primary thing in this country, water.
Before departure from Ouaga in 1989 we bought enough for the route to the north. In 2013 it was easy to buy mineral water at almost every street corner.
What I can remember from the landscape in 1989 north of Ouaga were the three colours yellow, red and green. The yellow of the dry grass, the red of the earth and the road and the green of the trees.
- Pros:Art, culture, traditions, friendly people
Tiébélé is situated in the heart of the Gourounsi country, Tiébélé is famous for its nicily painted kassena houses. The... more travel advice
We stayed for one night in the campement at the west gate of Nazinga game Ranch. With 500-800 elephants in the park you... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Burkina Faso Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Burkina Faso"
- "Burkino Faso"
- "Burkina Faso: The Land of The Honorable"
- "Burkina Faso -- The Charm is in its Villages"
- "Burkina Faso and FESPACO film festival"
- "UPPER VOLTA !"
- "Black Africa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burkina Faso
- Hotels in Burkina Faso
- Transportation in Burkina Faso
- Nightlife in Burkina Faso
- Restaurants in Burkina Faso
- Shopping in Burkina Faso
- Warnings and Dangers in Burkina Faso
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burkina Faso
- 88 Reviews
- 445 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (159)
Have you been to Burkina Faso?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burkina Faso
- Posted in Travel Assen Forum "Re: How to get from Groningen to..."
- Commented on one of sachara's Burkina Faso travel pages
- updated a Burkina Faso Travel Page "Burkino Faso"
- Wrote a Review Tiebele, decorated Kassena houses in Burkina Faso Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Niansogoni, Dogon-like granaries at the cliffs"
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues