"Burkino Faso" Top 5 Page for this destination Burkina Faso by sachara

Burkina Faso Travel Guide: 338 reviews and 1,839 photos

Easygoing country with hospitable people

Burkina Faso is a relaxed country with friendly people.

The first time I visited Burkina Faso was in 1989, travelling from Togo to Mali. I spent only a few days in the country and in Ouagadougou.

In 2013 I came back for a longer time and visited the southwest of the country, like Bobo, Banfora, Sindou, Gaoua. In 2013 I encountered a country of art, culture and traditions. Updates and new pages will follow. See links to the separate pages.

We spent a few days in Ouaga and from there we visited Laongo, the Opera Village, Bazoulé, the holy crocodile lake and the Mossi palace inKokologo.
Ouagadougou
Laongo
Bazoulé, crocodile lake
Kokologo

In the southwest we visited Bobo and Banfora. Around Banfora we visited Lake Tengrela, the Karfiguela Falls and the holy baobab in Toumousseni.
Bobo Dioulasso
Banfora
Lake Tengrela
Karfiguela Falls
Toumousseni

We stayed a few days in the countryside of Sindou, visited several Senoufou villages, the Sindou peaks and the troglodyte villages at the escarpment.
Sindou, Senoufou country
Kankalaba & Tourni

Around Gaoua in the south we visited Lobi villages, the World Heritage site of Loropeni, the Gan king in Obiré and the diviner in Kampti.
Gaoua, Lobi country
Loropeni Ruins
Kampti
Obiré

In Tiebelé we visited the Kassena houses and west of Pô the Nazinga Game Ranch with elephants.
Tiébelé

My first experience with Burkina Faso in 1983 looks meanwhile far away. In that year I was at the border at the Ghanaian side. The border was closed in thosae days. How fascinating a closed border can be.
In 1983 was a difficult time in Ghana with lack of everything and curfew. I stayed a few weeks in Bolgatanga, took with some Ghanaian friends at a day-off the Paga bus to look at the border of BF. Many Ghanaians go there to look, if they could smuggle or buy some goods from BF. For smuggling you had to know the small paths very well. The frontier guards didn't let us in.

Watersupply.

The most primary thing in this country, water.
Before departure from Ouaga in 1989 we bought enough for the route to the north. In 2013 it was easy to buy mineral water at almost every street corner.

Yellow, red and green

What I can remember from the landscape in 1989 north of Ouaga were the three colours yellow, red and green. The yellow of the dry grass, the red of the earth and the road and the green of the trees.

• Pros:Art, culture, traditions, friendly people
  • Last visit to Burkina Faso: Feb 2013
  • Intro Updated Jul 1, 2013

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2013 at 3:20 AM

Hi Ali, im really privileged to be one of the VT flag finalists in the latest comp as up against your wonderful BF photo Id never think Id have a chance! love love your photo of the men with their pipes etc and congratulations of it receiving the VT prominence that it deserves!

• sachara's Profile Photo
      Nov 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

It was a great and special visit to the village of Dramane. It was for the first time they received foreigners. They and we really did enjoy our meeting.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Ali, I came here to read about the dance you saw in Burkina Faso, but you didn't write about it yet. Let me know when you do. I'd like to read about it. Thanks for the tour! Very interesting!!

• The_Capricorn's Profile Photo
      Nov 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Thanks Linda for visiting and rating my Tiebele pages. Yes it was a fascinating tour together with Ali

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
      Nov 13, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I can see that you had a fantastic trip! Lucky you two!

• MITNIC's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Great page!

• sachara's Profile Photo
      Nov 8, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Nikolas, it was great to be back in Burkina Faso after so many years. The travel page needs still to some updates. Thanks for visiting and rating.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2010 at 7:55 AM

Ali, you have such wonderful experiences during your travels... Good for you! ><><><

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2007 at 8:34 AM

What an adventure you must have had traveling to Burkina Faso! How did your love for Africa grow to become a passion? Regards from Texas...

• iwys's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2006 at 7:16 AM

I am hoping to go there in the not too distant future. I'll see if there are many more high-rise buildings in Ougadougou.

• jungles's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2006 at 11:00 PM

I enjoyed your Burkina Faso page. I might decide to include it in my Africa trip next year.

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2006 at 9:48 AM

Thanks for stopping by my Moshi Ali! I'm there again soon and I'm bringing the 'dreams' of Africa to family and friends coming with me. The excitement right now is welcoming home our Tanzanian adopted baby girl next week! I'm a proud "Auntie" again!! ;-)

• mickeyjane1's Profile Photo
    Feb 18, 2006 at 1:45 AM

Really good information on a country i knew absolutely nothing about..wow i was fascinated!!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 9:44 PM

Burkina Faso is on our wish list ! Thank you for sharing your photos !

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Burkina Faso

Have you been to Burkina Faso?