"Benin" Top 5 Page for this destination Benin by sachara

Benin Travel Guide: 450 reviews and 1,767 photos

End december 2003 I arrived in Benin at New -Years eve, travelling from Togo to Nigeria.
We spent a few days at the coast west of Cotonou.
After Ouida (the voodoo centre and former slave trade centre of the country) and Cotonou (the biggest city, where we had to arrange our visa) at the coast, we visited Ganvie and Ketou.

Ganvie, living on wooden stilts

One of the most known places in Benin is the fishing village Ganvie, built on stilts in a lagoon north of Cotonou.

Ketou and countryside.

On our way to Nigeria we crossed the border near Ketou, about 100 KM north from the coast. It was a nice route, passing a lot of villages in the countryside.

• Last visit to Benin: Jan 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 6, 2004

Travelogues (1)

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Very enjoyable read Ali :o) I'm looking forward to seeing Benin too on the big Africa meet. Cheers, Ann

• Ken_Weaver's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2006 at 11:14 PM

Wow! What an interesting page!Voodoo would be enough to scare me off!

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2006 at 1:16 PM

Superb page! This floating village is really amazing. It does not seem that the Water Hyacinth is a real pest in Benin. I have seen only a few of them on your photos. Market shopping is always a great pleasure!

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2005 at 12:37 AM

Fascinating to see a Cathedral, Voodoo museum and a snake temple side by side ... only in Africa. Amazing pictures of Ganvie, Ali.

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2005 at 2:10 PM

Lovely page Ali, welldone.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2005 at 11:44 AM

Great page for an overlooked destination

• grets's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2004 at 12:29 PM

Another superb page Ali, I never tire of reading about your adventures in Africa. As part of our trip to Ghana next year, we also go to Benin.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 25, 2004 at 4:47 AM

Very beautiful page, full of very interesting tips, great suggestions and beautiful pictures!

• sylvie-uk's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 8:15 AM

i was supposed to go to benin for a month by travelling 2 months in the desert, i even had my yellow fever vaccin done, unfortunatly i only had turned 18 and my mum still had a grip on me and refused to let me go... thanks for sharing. great page

• benidormone's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 12:41 PM

I really enjoyed your Benin page I certainly come back to view other pages!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Benin