"Lebanon" Top 5 Page for this destination Lebanon by sachara
Lebanon Travel Guide: 2,473 reviews and 5,914 photos
Since I learned about the Phoenicians at school, I knew once I will visit the Middle East and Lebanon. In 1973 I was planning my first trip to Lebanon .... I don't know anymore why, but I ended up in Poland and Russia that year.
In 1990 we visited Cyprus. For my friend and his colleague in Nicosia, both journalists, it was very tempting to take the boat to Lebanon for a short visit to Beirut. I didn't like to join them, because of the risks of war, so they didn't go either.
In 1995 twenty two years after planning my first trip, we got the opportunity to make a try-out trip for a small travel-agency in Amsterdam, so we did, allthough we just returned from Sikkim in the Himalayas.
We visited all parts of Lebanon, starting in Beirut. Here we saw the terrible traces of the war, but we saw and felt also the great energy of the Lebanese people reconstructing their city.
Everywhere in Lebanon we discovered the remains of its rich history, Phoenician, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Arabic, Mameluke, Ottoman ....
In the south we visited Tyre, Sidon, Echmoun and St Saveur.
In the east in the Beeka valley we visited Baalbeck, Zahle, Aanjar and the Lac de Qaraoun.
In the Chouf Mountains we visited Deir al-Qamar, Beitedinne, Moukhtara, Ain Zhalta and Ain Dara.
North of Beirut we visited Harissa, Jbail, Tripoli, Afqa, Al Akrine, Ehden, Bcharre, The Cedars and the Kadisha Valley with its villages and monasteries.
- Pros:rich culture and nature
On our way from Jbail to Tripoli, 3 KM beyond Batroun, we saw at the east side of the highway this castle. You can take... more travel advice
East of Bcharre in northern Lebanon lies the ski resort the Cedars , just a few KMs away from the famous grove of cedar... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Lebanon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Half Lebanese in my Blood...Welcome to Lebanon!"
- "Lebanon - The pearl of the Medeterranian Sea"
- "Lebanon - the heart of the Levant"
- "So small so similar"
- "A long lost home..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lebanon
- Hotels in Lebanon
- Transportation in Lebanon
- Nightlife in Lebanon
- Restaurants in Lebanon
- Shopping in Lebanon
- Warnings and Dangers in Lebanon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lebanon
- 137 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (199)
Have you been to Lebanon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lebanon
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 75 reviews, 390 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues