"Lebanon" Top 5 Page for this destination Lebanon by sachara

Lebanon Travel Guide: 2,470 reviews and 5,908 photos

Since I learned about the Phoenicians at school, I knew once I will visit the Middle East and Lebanon. In 1973 I was planning my first trip to Lebanon .... I don't know anymore why, but I ended up in Poland and Russia that year.
In 1990 we visited Cyprus. For my friend and his colleague in Nicosia, both journalists, it was very tempting to take the boat to Lebanon for a short visit to Beirut. I didn't like to join them, because of the risks of war, so they didn't go either.
In 1995 twenty two years after planning my first trip, we got the opportunity to make a try-out trip for a small travel-agency in Amsterdam, so we did, allthough we just returned from Sikkim in the Himalayas.

We visited all parts of Lebanon, starting in Beirut. Here we saw the terrible traces of the war, but we saw and felt also the great energy of the Lebanese people reconstructing their city.
Everywhere in Lebanon we discovered the remains of its rich history, Phoenician, Hellenistic, Roman, Byzantine, Arabic, Mameluke, Ottoman ....

In the south we visited Tyre, Sidon, Echmoun and St Saveur.

In the east in the Beeka valley we visited Baalbeck, Zahle, Aanjar and the Lac de Qaraoun.

In the Chouf Mountains we visited Deir al-Qamar, Beitedinne, Moukhtara, Ain Zhalta and Ain Dara.

North of Beirut we visited Harissa, Jbail, Tripoli, Afqa, Al Akrine, Ehden, Bcharre, The Cedars and the Kadisha Valley with its villages and monasteries.

• Pros:rich culture and nature
  • Last visit to Lebanon: Apr 1995
  • Intro Updated Oct 20, 2003

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2010 at 12:51 AM

Ali, thanks for your interesting page about Lebanon! ><><><

• travelinxs's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2007 at 6:49 AM

Extreamly well written facts. I feel a little more enlightened on Lebanon! Thanks.

• alycat's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2007 at 1:20 AM

Salams amazing pics and informatve tips...thnx!!

• Mar 9, 2007 at 11:30 AM

wow, you've been to places i've never heard of...guess arabs don't hang around their land quite often! impressed by your pages on our arabian land!! bless you, ali, a:^)

• yolland's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2006 at 11:31 AM

Big compliments for your Lebanon pages, a country we sincerely love!! This year I (Lebanese) married a Dutch guy Andrew on Cyprus. See our pages, Andy & Yolland

• Escadora7's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2006 at 12:14 PM

Hi Ali! Very nice Lebanon tips! We hope we will be able to visit there soon! Best wishes, Ash & Eve

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2006 at 8:20 AM

May we both return one day to this beautiful country and find it at peace. leyle

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2005 at 1:35 AM

What an interesting place! ... i am really amazed by the wealth of information on these pages, Ali. Lovely pictures of Baalbeck and Beitedinne ... Thanks for sharing.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2004 at 2:54 PM

Intrigueing country. I wonder why the cedars are disappearing??

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2004 at 4:14 PM

I am very happy that you finally made it to Lebanon and that you shared the trip on VT. Great page.

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Lebanon

Have you been to Lebanon?

Latest Activity in Lebanon