"Turkmenistan" Top 5 Page for this destination Turkmenistan by sachara

Turkmenistan Travel Guide: 200 reviews and 607 photos

In summer 2008 I started my silk road trip in Turkmenistan. We visited first the capital Ashgabat in the south. We stayed in the desert in the small village Kerkirdek north of the capital. From there we travelled by train to the north to visit the historical site Konye Urgench before heading to Uzbekistan.

• Last visit to Turkmenistan: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 24, 2008

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:23 AM

where did you fly in from? Germany? or from a neighbouring country? Do you know people that have also travelled independently recently?

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM

We did fly with Turkish Airlines, Amsterdam-Istanbul-Ashgabat. I red the pages of some VT members which travelled independently as far I understand.

Dec 29, 2013 at 5:14 PM

okay thanks will have a further look around VT and TT, thanks Ali.

Dec 28, 2013 at 12:19 AM

oh that main page looks so much like what im used to being as home in Morocco :( but im here in China in Xi'an which is the beginning or end of the Silk road (where I am for a year) - it has been great to have the opportunities to investigate and explore more that comes into Silk road territory....as was going to Turkey in June-July and driving on some of what was said to be Silk route and on my brilliant silk road of the world map that I managed to get hold of. We took the train to Lanzhou and Xining a few weeks ago which followed the Silk Road...with lots of Hui people around of which there are many Hui here in Xi'an too (Huimin Jie for example) and visited the Terracotta soldiers here in Xi'an the other day...in addition to a few visits to the Silk Road café which has a great map up on the wall....loving it all really! Would be great to get to some of the 'stans while im here but found out my classes now only finish 5 days before my visa expires so either have to fly to HK to get a tourist visa or renew my student visa here so not too sure yet... hope you've been enjoying the Christmas season and getting geared up for a wonderful New Year :)

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I enjoyed the silkroad and the 'stans'. I visited Uzbekistan two times, in 1986 and 2008. Always interesting to see the differences after 22 years. For you also the best wishes and happy travelling in 2014 !

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It’s interesting that some of the old nomadic customs are still preserved.
    I would love to take a trip like that by train, but it sounds stressful getting your group and luggage onto the train in the intense heat in such a short time.

Dec 29, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Don, Turkmenistan was an rather unknown country for me. I liked especially the visit to the desert and the homestay with the local people. Such a contrast with the enormous buildings in the capital.

• Sep 1, 2011 at 10:52 PM

i find ur trvel pages r so informative that a person need not read books.customs of turkmenistan r really informative still do they believe in such things in fertility as described by u. even in our country many old beliefs still persist in many customs

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2010 at 7:42 AM

You have made a great Silk Road tour, Ali! Well done!

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2009 at 11:20 AM

Fantastic and very interesting page! Looks so nice to sleep out in the desert! Although I'm not sure about the rolling down the hill-thing. Aren't there any easier way to get pregnant? :) /Henrik

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2009 at 3:33 AM

Interesting page - a place I'd love to go to. Just home from Uzbekistan (again) and Central Asia still calls. Next time...

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Great perspective of the area, and the sand is awesome

• starship's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2009 at 6:50 PM

What a fascinating page! It was interesting to learn about the yurts, felts, and especially the Akhal Teke horse and Niyazov's Ruhnama! Great photos too. It must have been an amazing trip!!

• joiwatani's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2008 at 1:56 PM

Where in the world is Sachara?

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Turkmenistan

Have you been to Turkmenistan?

Latest Activity in Turkmenistan