"Assen" Top 5 Page for this destination Assen by sachara
Assen Travel Guide: 130 reviews and 328 photos
The history of Assen started in 1258, when the monastery ''Maria in Campis'' was built. Till that time there were only some farmhouses in the small settlements around, like Witten, Deurze and Peelo.
Between the former moats of the the monastery ( called ''Singels'') you can still find old buildings of the different centuries.
The monastery has gone. Only the abbey church (abdijkerk), now a part of the ''Drents Museum'', is still there. And the roads around the citycentre have still the names of the former ''Singels''.
One of the oldest streets in the centre near the former monastery is called Kloosterstraat ( Monastery Street).
West of the Kloosterstraat lies the ''Brink''. Almost all traditonal villages in the Province Drenthe have a brink (village green) in their centre, so Assen has. Many historical buildings are situated around the brink, like the former monastery.
Assen is the capital of the Province Drenthe and the buildings of the Provincial governement were situated at the Brink too, untill they moved out of the citycentre. Now you can find the "Drents Museum'' in these buildings.
East of the Museum you can find "het Museumlaantje'' (the Museum Alley). Here you see a lot of old buildings in different styles, like the Ontvangershuis, the Archives, the Museum of Drenthe and the tower of the Abbey church. All the buildings are built or rebuilt in different centuries and changed their functions several times.
In the small village Witten, 5 KM west of Assen, you can find three traditional Saxon farmerhouses. Two are a national... more travel advice
In the old citycentre are a lot of shops. It's nice to walk around in this cosy part of the town which has mainly... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Assen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Assen, my hometown"
- "Assen: capital of the province of Drenthe"
- "sandravdp's Assen & Emmen Page"
- "Assen - capital of the province of Drenthe"
- "province of Drenthe"
- "Assen, capitol of Drenthe's countryside"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Assen
- Hotels in Assen
- Transportation in Assen
- Nightlife in Assen
- Restaurants in Assen
- Shopping in Assen
- Warnings and Dangers in Assen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Assen
- 38 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Assen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Assen
Videos in AssenSee All Videos (2)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 70 reviews, 365 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues