"Emmen, old and new...." Top 5 Page for this destination Emmen by sachara
Emmen Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 259 photos
The colourful artwork at the main picture is gone now the destination of the building has changed. I doubt if the artwork will show up again somewhere.
Emmen is situated in the north-east of the Netherlands near the German border. Emmen, orginally an agricultural village in the 19th century has -as a booming city- developed in the last 50 years into a modern industrial municipality with industrial and horticultural areas. In the sixties and seventies the original town is surrounded by several newtowns, very known by townplanners and architects.
In 2002 the modern shopping centre in the south of the city centre has renewed and can serve now the 250.000 customers in the region, also in a part of Germany.
Within the borders of the municipality Emmen has also a lot of open and green space. Near the German border is a great Nature Reserve of moorland and peat-swamp, named the Bargerveen.
Also the heart of the city is very green with old oaks around two monuments, a church (still in use as church, but also an exhibition- and concerthall) and a former traditional farm-house (now a restaurant, but also a gallery). The entrance of the famous Zoo of Emmen is also in the heart of the city. In summer there are also some great festivals with 30.000-50.000 visitors in the 'shared space' area of the citycentre.
North of the green heart of the city is the older part of the citycentre. Here you can find smaller and more specialized shops and boutiques. Many owners of the shops start to renovate their buildings in old style. I feel very favoured to live within a five-minutes walking distance from this part and the green heart.
The most remarkable hotel in the Province Drenthe or maybe even in the Netherlands is situated at the south end of the... more travel advice
In July 2007 a new restaurant opened its doors. It's a Caribbean restaurant where you can go for a drink, lunch or... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Emmen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Emmen, old and new...."
- "Emmen .... more than the zoo"
- "Full Colour in Emmen"
- "18 May - 20 May"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Emmen
- Hotels in Emmen
- Nightlife in Emmen
- Restaurants in Emmen
- Shopping in Emmen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Emmen
- 41 Reviews
- 149 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 66 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (161)
Have you been to Emmen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Emmen
Photos in EmmenSee All Photos (149)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues