"Groeten uit Grolloo" Grolloo by sachara
Grolloo Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 53 photos
Grolloo is a village 10 KM from Assen. There are still some traditional farmhouses.
Cuby & the Blizzards
In the sixties Grolloo was very known, because the blues band of Harry Muskee, named ''Cuby & the Blizzards''. They lived here in one of the old farmhouses. One of the first records of C&B (1968) is "Groeten uit Grolloo'', meaning "Greetings from Grolloo''.
During the summer months of 2001 there was an exhibition on occasion of the 60th birthday of Harry Muskee ( the 10th June) in the farmhouse, where he lived in the 60s with his band. The exhibition was organised by the foundation ''Maintenance of the Cultural Heritage Harry Muskee''. This picture ''Groeten uit Grolloo'' is the frontcover of the invitation card (and also the frontcover of the 60s recordsleeve).
The 10th June 2011 on occasion of the 70th birthday the small farmhouse turned permanently into the Cuby and the Blizzards museum.
In the centre of the village Grolloo, opposite cafe Hofsteenge at the main road, you can also find a statue of Harry Muskee.
Statues, cultural heritage, exhibitions..... this was allready there while the man was still alive and kicking. Once a year Harry Muskee with his band, named Cuby & the Blizzards again, came back to Grolloo playing the blues in the local pub "Hofsteenge''.
During their theatre tour "C&B plays John Lee Hooker'' 2003-2004 they played in Grolloo at the 29th May 2004. The song ''Just for a fun'' from the 60s is about visiting Grolloo and Hofsteenge.
At the occasion of the 70th birthday of Harry John Mayal came to Grolloo to play in the concert of C&B. This concert turned out to be the last concert of Cuby and the Blizzards. At the 26th september Harry Muskee passed away. At the 30th september 1000s of fans came to Grolloo to say farewell to Harry in his former house. The band of Harry played for the last time for the fans at the terrace of café Hofsteenge.
When you like to stay some time in this area with a lot of natural beauty, you can find a wonderful camping site in Grolloo, "De Berenkuil" in a nice natural setting with protected junipers. For the kids it's always a party to be there. Every evening in the open-air theatre starts "Berenpret'', especially for the kids with a lot of singing, theatre and fun.
The juniper or ''Juniperus communis'' is very characteristic for the Dutch heatherfields and blowing sands. The juniper... more travel advice
As long as I can remember, I know the local cafe Hofsteenge in Grolloo. In the 60s it was the habitual cafe of Cuby &... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Grolloo Travel Guide
- Hotels in Grolloo
- Nightlife in Grolloo
- Restaurants in Grolloo
- Warnings and Dangers in Grolloo
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Grolloo
- 4 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Grolloo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grolloo
- Posted in Travel Egypt Forum "Re: Traveling in August 2013"
- updated a Grolloo Travelogue "Berenkuil, bears everywhere"
- Uploaded a Video to Grolloo
- Uploaded a Photo to "Tribute to Harry Muskee"
- Commented on one of ATLC's Grolloo travel pages
- Wrote a Review Junipers become extinct in Grolloo Warnings and Dangers
Photos in GrollooSee All Photos (47)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues