Rotterdam Transportation Tips by sachara Top 5 Page for this destination
Rotterdam Transportation: 99 reviews and 108 photos
close to the Blaak Station
The fastest way to travel in the citycentre of Rotterdam is to take a bicycle. At several places you can rent bicycles in Rotterdam. You can find your own way, but there are also guided bike tours. For example you can rent a bike at a few minutes walk from Central Station at the Conradstraat 6 at your right hand side coming out of the building. Costs are 6 euro for a day, 5 euro for every day extra. A guided cycletour for 2 or 3 hours will cost 15 or 17 euro for groups starting from 6 persons.
At the waterbus you can take your bicycle for free to several suburbs and towns in the neigbourhood of Rotterdam like to the famous mills of Kinderdijk. Here you can make for example the mill cycle tour of 43 km.
Other Contact: email@example.com
Phone: + 31 10 2409158
view at the high-rise buildings from the station
Rotterdam is well connected by train to the Dutch railroad system and has some international connections as well. Coming from the north of the Netehrlands I usually visit Rotterdam by intercity train. I come also by train to Rotterdam to catch the high speed Thalys train to Paris or sometimes an international train to Belgium.
The actual building of the Central Station is from 1953. The Central Station and the Stationsplein are under reconstruction. In the station you will find several shops and a bank. I like the AH supermarket with fresh bread, fruits, fresh fuirt juices, other drinks and snacks, which is also open in the evening.
Besides the main station Rotterdam has six other railway stations within its boundaries. The intercities don't stop here, but the local trains do.
If you are tired of walking and dont'want to ride a bicycle yourself or take public transport, you can take the velotaxi. Like in many other European cities this western riksja 'the velotaxi' is also introduced in Rotterdam. Last year I saw them in Vilnius in Lithuania as well.
If you see a free velotaxi, you can ask the driver for a ride and start your journey. You can also call to order a velotaxi. You can choose your own route or make a guided tour with a special theme. It's a nice and relaxed way to explore the city, while having direct contact with the outside world of the daily citylife. En route you can stop everywhere you like.
The Velotaxis in Rotterdam citycentre are operating from may till october everyday from about 10.00am till 18.00 pm. The price is 1 euro pro person for three minutes. For kids there are lower or free rates.
Other Contact: Rotterdam@velotaxi.nl
Phone: + 31 10 44 343 52
waterbus or fast ferry landing stage
One of the most great ways to travel around in Rotterdam, being a harbour- and watercity is by boat. There are watertaxis and waterbusses/fast ferries.
If you want to cross the Nieuwe Maas, you can take the Water Taxi. This speedboat can bring you from the north to the south bank, to the the Northern Island and many other places along the river. Along the Maas between Dordrecht and Hoek van Holland are about 250 landingstages, also in all Rotterdam harbours. 'Watertaxi Rotterdam' these watertaxiservices and roundtrips as well. You can call the water taxi, telling at which landing stage you like to embark and where you want to go. The fares are calculated with a taximeter. It's about 25-30 euros for 15 minutes.
Between Hotel New York and the Leuvehaven and the Veerhaven is the ferryservice of the classic Watertaxis HNY. During most part of the day these Watertaxis HNY sail off and on, about every 10 minutes, so you don't need to call. Outside these busy hours you have to call. The fare is 2.50 euro.
Waterbus/ fast ferry
With the Waterbus you can travel between Rotterdam, Ridderkerk, Krimpen a/d Lek, the mills of Kinderdijk and Dordrecht . The Waterbus is a big catamaran, sailing very smoothly. There is one route in Rotterdam (starting from the Erasmus bridge) and two connecting routes outside of Rotterdam. In the catamaran is space for 130 passengers and 60 bikes. An 'one day ticket' is 10.50 euro for passenger and bike together.
Phone: +31 10 4030303
The public transport system in Rotterdam is well organized. Except the subway, there are trams and busses. Travelling by tram in the citycentre is quick and easy. There are many lines, stopping all over the city.
The busses are less frequent than the trams or metros, but a good alternative if you travel outside the citycentre, to the suburbs or surrounding towns.
For the busses and trams you need a 'strippenkaart' to buy at the stations, postoffices and several newspaper and tobacco shops. This strippenkaart is valid for all public transport in the Netherlands. Buying a ticket in the tram or bus from the driver or conductor is possible as well.
At the Willemsplein, not far from where the Spido boattrips depart, I saw different types of historical trams, making tourist trips through the citycentre.
Rotterdams subway has two lines, the Erasmus line and the Caland line. The Erasmus line has its terminal at the Central Station in the north. Two stations away from the Central Station the both lines connect at station Beurs. In the south both lines have their terminal far into the suburb of Spijkenisse, sharing five stations along the line. The Caland line ends in the north in the suburb Capelle a/d IJssel. During the day the metro or subway departs about every 5 minutes, in the evening every 15 or 30 minutes.
For travelling by subway or using other public transport you need to buy a 'strippenkaart'. Every time you take the subway or bus and tram you have to stamp one strip for every zone and one extra strip. You can buy the 'strippenkaart' in the train- or subwaystation, but also in newspaper stalls or tobacco stores. You can buy a ticket in the tram or bus from the driver or the conductor as well, but it's more expensive.
More Reviews (64)
- See All Bars & restaurants with terraces at the...
- See All Russian Orthodox Church
- See All Reconstruction of the Central Station
- See All Walk during sunset
sachara's Related Pages
Rotterdam Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rotterdam, the most vibrant Dutch city !"
- "Rotterdam - Ik ben een 010er!"
- "Rotterdam: new territory for tourists"
- "Rotterdam a BIG small city"
- "Rotterdam, harbour city."
- "Rotterdam: Architecture Capital"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rotterdam
- Hotels in Rotterdam
- Transportation in Rotterdam
- Nightlife in Rotterdam
- Restaurants in Rotterdam
- Shopping in Rotterdam
- Warnings and Dangers in Rotterdam
- See All...
Explore the World
- Tarpon Springs Hotels
- Port Kent
- Pak Chong
- Ko Lanta
- Sigiriya Hotels
- Kalapana Hotels
- Alcudia Hotels
- METRA and South Shore Line (suburban rail network)
- Nicosia Transportation
- Grossarl Transportation
- Esbjerg Transportation
- Mardin Transportation
- Metro (Subway)
- Province of Bataan Transportation
- Louisiana Transportation
- Province of Camiguin Transportation
- Ostrava Transportation
- Hanmer Springs Transportation
- Margate Transportation
Badges & Stats in Rotterdam
- 70 Reviews
- 304 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (99)
Have you been to Rotterdam?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rotterdam
- Posted in Travel Algeria Forum "Re: visa"
- updated a Rotterdam Travel Page "Rotterdam"
- Wrote a Review Bars & restaurants with terraces at the waterfront about Oude Haven area in Rotterdam Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "Bars & restaurants with terraces at the waterfront"
- Commented on one of mafootje's Rotterdam travel pages
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (154)
Latest Rotterdam hotel reviews
- Fletcher Hotel
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 19, 2013
- The Manhattan Hotel Rotterdam
- 211 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Grand Hotel Philadelphia
- 17 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 22, 2013
- NH Zoetermeer
- 22 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Hotel Infante
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 21, 2012
- Romantik Hotel Hostellerie Schuddebeurs
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hotel New York
- 118 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- NH Atlanta Rotterdam
- 149 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 12, 2013
- NH Capelle
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 16, 2013
- Bilderberg Parkhotel Rotterdam
- 99 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 19, 2013
- Best Western Pax Hotel
- 104 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Grand Hotel Central Rotterdam
- 84 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Stayokay Rotterdam
- 31 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 8, 2013
- Eden Savoy Hotel Rotterdam
- 121 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Maritime Hotel Rotterdam
- 94 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 13, 2013
- Cubic Houses (Kubus woningen)- 34 Reviews, 50 Photos
- Euromast- 45 Reviews, 90 Photos
- Street Scenes, Sights, and Art- 82 Reviews, 139 Photos
- Boat Tours- 26 Reviews, 44 Photos
- Museums- 69 Reviews, 96 Photos
- Bridges- 36 Reviews, 62 Photos
- Blijdorp Zoo- 18 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Old Architecture- 28 Reviews, 42 Photos
- Delfshaven- 11 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Neighbourhoods- 29 Reviews, 32 Photos
See All Rotterdam Things to Do