"Rotterdam" Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam by sachara

Rotterdam Travel Guide: 1,424 reviews and 3,807 photos

I visited Rotterdam many many times. For work, for concerts, theatre, conferences, meetings, shopping, museums, exhibitions, architecture and many more. Mostly for one day. I like the cosmopolitan and vibrant atmosphere of the city.

The first book of Rotterdam I saw as kid has the statue of Zadkine at its frontcover. It took me many years before I saw this impressive statue 'devastated city' for the first time myself.

When you walk in Rotterdam, you see a mixture of old buildings and striking modern architecture. And the harbours are never far away.

Typical scene of Rotterdam. The boats in the old harbours, view at the river Maas, the high modern buildings, the bridges, some historical buildings.

At the picture you have a look from the Veerhaven towards the 'Kop van Zuid' with the high modern buildings and the Hotel 'New York', the place from where in former days huge cruise ships departed for New York and other far destinations.

• In a nutshell:Cosmopolitan and vibrant city
  • Last visit to Rotterdam: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Mar 30, 2008

May 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Thanks for this introduction to Rotterdam, a city I have never visited up to now.
    I have just made a new tip on the sculptor Ossip Zadkine and have included a link to this page, as well as a link to your tip about his monument. I hope you approve!
    "Musée Zadkine" - Paris Off The Beaten Path Tip by Nemorino

• sachara's Profile Photo
      May 23, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Don, great you visited my Rotterdam page and put a link to Zadkine. I red your Paris tip, I have never been in Musée Zadkine in Paris. Something to do the next time.

May 24, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Yes, I think the Musée Zadkine would interest you, especially since you know his monument in Rotterdam.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2010 at 12:45 PM

So much lovely architecture, especially the Schiedelandshuis with all that gingerbread facade. You did an excellent job of describing the sites and what to do, as well as pictures are great. Glad you did not get injured any worse in fall.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2008 at 1:52 AM

I planned to visit Rotterdam last year when it was "City of Architecture" but had to change my plans. After visiting your page I feel I've seen it all (but still want to check it myself :) Excellent!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Excellent tips of Rotterdam. So many museums and beautiful traditional and modern architecture to enjoy. Thanks for sharing. I was there too briefly. Must revisit one day. Cheers, SL :)

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 11:05 PM

Very interesting place to visit. Thanks.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Ali, your pages are encyclopedia of travels!

• May 28, 2007 at 2:03 PM

It is me! The blonde Lady on the velotaxi. I'm the driver. It's a great way of seeing Rotterdam as a tourist!

May 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

How nice that she found the picture of herself and left you a message! But it’s too bad she never returned to VT after that.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2007 at 6:22 PM

Amzzing page and city of museums (Dutch Architecture Institute, Museum Boymans van Beuningen, The Dutch Photo Museum :-)) and modern architecture (Cubic Houses :-)! I didn't known the first European skyscraper was built in Rotterdam. Moving warning tip!

• raytor's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Right now it looks like I will be there between the 19th and the 25th of March. Longer possibly, but those days are most likely.

• mary2u99's Profile Photo
    Aug 7, 2006 at 11:51 PM

I love the Cubic Houses (Kubus woningen).. very nice. Great page and tips. I have to visit Rotterdam someday, perhaps next year. :-)

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Rotterdam

Have you been to Rotterdam?