"Mongolia, land of the blue sky" Top 5 Page for this destination Mongolia by sachara

Mongolia Travel Guide: 1,090 reviews and 3,386 photos

Mongolia fascinated me for a very long time and I knew I would go there once. That was far before I really went there in 1991.
In 1991 I made a large trip in Asia, starting in the Trans-Mongolian Railway in Moscow, to visit some of the great Tibetan Buddhist Monasteries in the world, in Mongolia, China and finally in Tibet.

The Tibetan Buddhism was the ''red thread'' of this trip, but Mongolia I visited also because of its natural environment, the steppes, the green grasslands, the horses and the nomadic life.

Mongolia is one of the highest countries in the world with an average elevation of more than 1500 M. The density of the population in the country is only about 1,5 persons per sq. KM.
Travelling in the countryside is very relaxed and spacious. Mongolia is also called ''the country of the blue sky''. The skies were really amazing.
In the countryside we encountered a great hospitality visiting families in their traditional gers.

• Last visit to Mongolia: Jul 1991
  • Intro Updated Oct 28, 2003

• arielky's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2009 at 11:29 PM

Sounds wonderful! I love to spot wildlife. I can tell how relaxing this was for you by the tone of your writing.

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2008 at 4:50 AM

one day, i will get there to ;-)))

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Dec 16, 2007 at 1:30 PM

Mongolia looks like a truly fascinating country. Never was on list my but its of constant interest mainly due to all the dinosaur fossils found there.

• titti's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Following your path again... Great page! Thanks.

• AKtravelers's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Wow! I have always dreamed about going to Mongolia, but it's better than I expected! Great page!

• Anastasia73's Profile Photo
    Sep 22, 2006 at 1:42 AM

Amazing Mongolia!!!!!! It will be my next trip.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jan 30, 2006 at 9:02 AM

A great page on this dream destination ! « It looked like the pilots and the busdrivers fly and ride in the steppe, as if they are still horsemen » Haha, I understand what you mean !

• banshee11's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 3:15 AM

what a great page. a very fascinating country. since i've seen a film about mongolia some time ago, it doesn't let me go anymore. a big dream is born. happy new year, by the way!

• ginte's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2005 at 12:42 AM

What a great overview of Mongolia! Fascinating views of the landscape, unusual and beautiful architecture. Now I have a wish to go there;-)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2005 at 10:06 AM

What wonderful images of a fascinating country -and what wonderful journeys you have been privileged to make. Thanks for taking us along with you. leyle

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Riga in May ”

Badges & Stats in Mongolia

Have you been to Mongolia?

Latest Activity in Mongolia