"Funchal" Top 5 Page for this destination Funchal by sachara

Funchal Travel Guide: 511 reviews and 1,065 photos

The first time we visited Madeira Island and Funchal was in 1996. In the first place we came for the natural beauty of the island with the many possiblities for walking. We stayed at different places around the island.

In the meantime we visited Madeira eight times and started to love Funchal more and more. So now Funchal is our base to go around the island. We visit Funchal in winter during our ''spring holiday'' end February.

Two times we were in Funchal during the week of carnival! The carnival in Funchal is great.

Funchal, the capital of Madeira, has more than 120.000 inhabitants. The traffic jam in Funchal can be horrible.

When we are in town, we prefer to walk. In the central part of the city are nice old buildings, churches, some museums, shops, bars and restaurants. Many streets changed into nicily paved pedestrian areas.

Funchal is a very green city with a lot of parks and gardens. The whole year round there are a lot flowering trees and plants, even in winter.

The ambiance of Funchal is wonderful, laying at a large bay with nice views at the ocean. We also enjoy the view at the surrounding mountains, especially at night with thousands of lights at their slopes.

• In a nutshell:not yet my home town, but who knows some day ....
  • Last visit to Funchal: Mar 2011
  • Intro Updated Apr 8, 2011

• slitty_tulip's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2010 at 7:13 AM

sounds great really looking forward to trying it but how much will it be now

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2009 at 6:04 AM

Hi again Ali, hope youre enjoying the weekend - am trying to decide between Berne and its onion festival!along with Swiss villages and Alsace, and Madeira! for 5 days end of Nov.Uve had so many return visits you must like it!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2008 at 4:32 AM

Thank you for sharing Funchal photos and tips. i am going there at end of March. Have a good day

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 6, 2007 at 7:29 AM

We're considering going to Madeira in Feb'08 for a few days - your page here confirms my expectations of somewhere beautiful and interesting. leyle

• Don12's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Very pleased to find you indirectly via Google. We are staying a week in Madeira for the 1st time on 19th March and your pages will be invaluable, great tips and photos...thanks a lot

• Bokhari76's Profile Photo
    Feb 14, 2006 at 10:20 PM

Nice page. This Carnical tip was featured on VT homepage. Congrats.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2005 at 1:14 AM

I think I will go there next june. Ciao!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 12, 2005 at 9:44 PM

Beautiful pictures, especially interesting are those from the carnival. Interesting off the beaten path tips.

• nickyte's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 7:56 AM

Being a Carnival Lover myself, I hope that soon I can attend the Funchal Carnival and have it added into my carnival list to go. Your description of the festival and information are great to know. Thanks for sharing.

• JimKnopf's Profile Photo
    Nov 11, 2004 at 10:21 PM

Nice pics from the carnival, interesting. Thank you for share it.

sachara Visits Here Frequently!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Riga in May ”

Badges & Stats in Funchal

Have you been to Funchal?

Latest Activity in Funchal