"Madeira" Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island by sachara

Madeira Island Travel Guide: 786 reviews and 1,936 photos

Madeira island is the largest island of the Madeira Archipelago. The island is 57 Km long and 22 KM wide. The highest peak, the Pico Ruivo is 1861 m. The island lays at a distance of 545 KM from the coast of Morocco.

The island is known because of its the colourful gardens and flowers, but it has also an extremely rough natural beauty. It's amazing how many variety the island offers at such a small surface, like the high peaks in the east and the plains in the west, the steep rocky coast at the north and the lovely terraces in the south.

By the microclimate Madeira island shows the faces of several continents. In the mountains you can face everything, blue sky and clear sights, but also clouds and even snow ! In 2011 the mountaintops were covered with snow, even in March. And we had sun at the catamaran at sea !

We visited Madeira island in winter 1996, 1999, 2001, 2002 , 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Along the coast and inland you can find many lovely small villages, each with its own character.

The mountains and the coast can be rough and barren, but also lovely and green with a lot of flowers in the fields. The views are mostly breathtaking.

• Last visit to Madeira Island: Feb 2010
  • Intro Updated Sep 14, 2012

• kenHuocj's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2013 at 1:03 AM

back to S AFrica where many Portuguese actually came form Madeira, and their convenience stores often name Funchal Cafe, probably a hint of nostalgia ;-)))

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Will go for a week in March with my mum.

• CDM7's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Hi Ali , Off to Madeira again in just over 2 weeks. Is the trip across to Porto Santo worth while for a day considering the length of time on the ferry ?

• sachara's Profile Photo
      Sep 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Hi Clive, we liked our one day-trip to Porto Santo, just to experience another different island of the archipel after 9 visits to Madeira island. We did a tour by bus around the island and made a walk along the beach before we had to catch the ferry again.

• CDM7's Profile Photo
      Sep 13, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Thanks for that Ali,we may give it a try.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Hello, Ali! Thanks for your wonderful story! I like reading about this wonderful destination!...Emperor Blessed Charles I of Austria rests there....+RIP+

• PeterKnudsen's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2011 at 4:42 PM

The whale museum was closed last year, they are moving it to a new building. Their is no sign on re opening.

• Tripack's Profile Photo
    Sep 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Bon anniversaire Ali! Hope you could enjoy a fine Madeira wine on this special day. What a great island with spetacular summits and stunning underwaters. Greetings from the Swiss Alps!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Very beautiful. Love the stone work. My driveway is being done by a man from Madeira right now. He has urged me to visit.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Apr 7, 2008 at 2:21 AM

Madeira is on my wish list since a looong time. I hope to go there soon. Ciao!

• Toshioohsako's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2008 at 1:14 PM

Thank you for sharing these useful tips and photos on madeira.

• Andraf's Profile Photo
    Jan 21, 2008 at 11:43 PM

Interesting page with lots of good info. I'm planning a trip to Madeira in the summer and I have to say that I'm more and more excited about it.

sachara Visits Here Frequently!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Madeira Island

Have you been to Madeira Island?

Latest Activity in Madeira Island