"La Palma" Top 5 Page for this destination Isla de La Palma by sachara

Isla de La Palma Travel Guide: 151 reviews and 336 photos

The Caldera de Taburiente is the heart of La Palma. The diameter of the Caldera is 10 KM and the peaks around are about 2400 M.
Thanks to this crater the island La Palma has the most impressive natural and unspoilt beauty of all the Canary Islands. The crater, the Caldera de Taburiente, one of the largests on earth, originating by a huge landslide instead of volcanic activities according the last insights, attracts geologists, biologists, ornithologists, speleogists , mountaineers and people like us, who love to walk and to enjoy the rough and breathtaking landscape.

When we visited the northern edge of the Caldera at Roque de los Muchachos, it was a very cloudy day. The caldera was totally filled with clouds. We stood above the clouds and could only see the highest peaks around the calderea, looking like small islands.
The day before at the mirador de las Chozas near la Cumbrecita at the south east edge, there was only a small stripe of clouds, just below the edge.
We waited a few days till there was a very clear blue sky, before we entered the caldera deep down.

We visited La Palma for a week and stayed in one of the many casitas of the island. We had a nice casita between the banana and avocado trees, a few KM north of Los Llanos with a splendid view from the balcony at the surrounding landscape with the sea at the background.

The descent in the Caldera de Taburiente and walking in this rough mysterious landscape of streams, rocks and dead silence was the highlight of our stay.

• Last visit to Isla de La Palma: Oct 2002
  • Intro Updated Nov 16, 2003

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2010 at 3:03 AM

Excellent page, very helpful tips. Am spending 6 days on La Palma after Christmas.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2009 at 9:53 AM

reading with interest - going here on Monday :-)

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2007 at 1:38 AM

Beautiful page and interesting tips, thanks a lot. Will go there in Januari so you are really getting me in the mood!

• kschatterbox's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2007 at 10:41 AM

I really like your Isla de La Palma Page. Your pictures are breathtaking!! Would love to see Caldera de Taburiente in person!!

• Maria_75's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2005 at 11:16 AM

Fantastic page! I'm hoping to visit La Palma soon, and I want it even more now! :) Maria

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 2:35 PM

Great tips, amazing pictures. Caldera de Taburiente is a must!

• gusgom's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2004 at 11:58 AM

Next island to visit: La Palma. Where can I stay?? How many days to vist the island. I did just one day and one night in La Gomera. Merry Christmas!!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Dec 19, 2003 at 2:54 AM

Splendid Observatory I would love to go inside and watch the stars :-) Volcano dunes, Hmmm seems really interesting spot on our planet :-)))

• LotusV8's Profile Photo
    Nov 21, 2003 at 3:20 AM

This place rocks! I think that I have to see it by my own eyes! Wonderful info and pics!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2003 at 2:55 AM

The walking on the clouds photo is so angelic!! What a wonderful are for some great hiking!! The geometric inscriptions are very interesting!!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour. ”

Badges & Stats in Isla de La Palma

Have you been to Isla de La Palma?

Latest Activity in Isla de La Palma