"The province where I was born and live again" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Drenthe by sachara
Provincie Drenthe Travel Guide: 687 reviews and 2,096 photos
Drenthe is a province in the north of the Netherlands. I was born close to Assen, the capital. of Drenthe. At this moment I live in Emmen in the south east of Drenthe. Emmen, Assen are together with Hoogeveen and Meppel the bigger towns in the province with lots of facilties.
Drenthe, being the Dutch province with the lowest amount of inhabitants per square kilometer, has also a lot of heatherfields and forests. The traditional villages in the surrounding landscape of old cultivated land, the so-called 'essen' are still very authentic and scenic. Some villages like Orvelte became a living museum, others are protected as cultural heritage.
Historically Drenthe is very known because of the 52 'hunebeds' scattered all over the province. A hunebed is made of huge boulders and is supposed to be a megalithic burial chamber.
In november 2015 the east area of the Province Drenthe became a UNESCO Global Geopark, named the Hondsrug Global Geopark.
Official description of the Hondsrug Global Geopark
Geology: The Hondsrug area is not only a geological unique phenomenon within the Netherlands but also in a European context. The Hondsrug area is a geological complex of linear till ridges of about 60 km in length. It was formed during the Saalian glaciation about 150.000 years ago. During this Ice Age the north of the Netherlands was covered with a layer of ice of about one thousand metres thick. When, at the end of that period the ice was disappearing, a river of ice started to flow from the northwest (now the North Sea area) to the southeast over the northern part of the Netherlands all the way to the area of Munster in Germany. This ‘ice river’ cut deep furrows through the land. They formed the Hondsrug area and the ancient river valleys of the Hunze and the Drentsche Aa. The ridge exists of Saalian till, covered with Weichselian coversand. It is dotted with pingo remnants, dead ice depressions and erratics (with boulders coming all the way from Finland and Sweden, up to 40 tons).
Geography: The Hondsrug region is a large area covering almost the whole Eastern part of Drenthe and also a part of the province of Groningen. It stretches from the centre of the city of Groningen in the North to Emmen and Coevorden in the South. The Hondsrug Global Geopark region also encompasses an area to the southeast of Drenthe, the Hunze Valley to the east of the actual Hondsrug, and the Drentsche Aa National Park which borders Assen. The Global Geopark covers an approximate area of 1000 km². The region is easily accessible by road and rail.
Drenthe is very popular for holidays and short breaks. There are many mini-campings and holidaycentres, but also hotels and bed & breakfast.
Drenthe has a lot interesting places. I lost a lot of pictures, but I start to take new ones. So this page and the separate pages of towns and villages in Drenthe will continue to grow in the future.
- In a nutshell:Enchanting mix of nature and culture
Hampshire Hotel (former De Giraf and Eden) is situated just east of the railway at a walking distance of about 10... more travel advice
Dalen is a village the southeast of Drenthe north of Coevorden. The village has about 3500 inhabitants. Though many new... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Provincie Drenthe Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The province where I was born and live again"
- "Drenthe, the quiet province"
- "Province of Drenthe"
- "Drenthe, heatherfields, forests and farmland"
- "My Province of Birth"
- "Drenthe (Netherlands)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provincie Drenthe
- Hotels in Provincie Drenthe
- Transportation in Provincie Drenthe
- Nightlife in Provincie Drenthe
- Restaurants in Provincie Drenthe
- Shopping in Provincie Drenthe
- Warnings and Dangers in Provincie Drenthe
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provincie Drenthe
- 120 Reviews
- 467 Photos
- 13 Forum posts
- 9 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (195)
Have you been to Provincie Drenthe?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provincie Drenthe
- Posted in Travel Madeira Island Forum "Re: Botanical Gardens"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Assen, Drents Museum"
- Commented on one of sachara's Provincie Drenthe travel pages
- updated a Provincie Drenthe Travel Page "The province where I was born and live again"
- Uploaded a Video to Provincie Drenthe
- Wrote a Review From Giraf to Eden to Hampshire in Provincie Drenthe Hotels
Videos in Provincie DrentheSee All Videos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues