"The province where I was born and live again" Top 5 Page for this destination Provincie Drenthe by sachara

Provincie Drenthe Travel Guide: 615 reviews and 1,895 photos

Lots of traditional villages

Drenthe is a province in the north of the Netherlands. I was born close to Assen, the capital. of Drenthe. At this moment I live in Emmen in the south east of Drenthe. Emmen, Assen are together with Hoogeveen and Meppel the bigger towns in the province with lots of faciclties.

Drenthe, being the Dutch province with the lowest amount of inhabitants per square kilometer, has also a lot of heatherfields and forests. The traditional villages in the surrounding landscape of old cultivated land, the so-called 'essen' are still very authentic and scenic. Some villages like Orvelte became a living museum, others are protected as cultural heritage.

The province of the hunebeds

Historically Drenthe is very known because of the 52 'hunebeds' scattered all over the province. A hunebed is made of huge boulders and is supposed to be a megalithic burial chamber.

Not only nice to live, but also for leisure

Drenthe is very popular for holidays and short breaks. There are many mini-campings and holidaycentres, but also hotels and bed & breakfast.

Drenthe has a lot more interesting places to offer than I show now at this page. I lost a lot of pictures, but I start to take new ones. So this page will continue to grow in the future

• In a nutshell:Enchanting mix of nature and culture
  • Intro Updated May 8, 2011

• ATLC's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2010 at 3:19 AM

There's still lots to explore for me in Drenthe!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2009 at 4:07 AM

I enjoyed looking through your interesting & affectionate tips about your home region. I've never been to the northern end of the Netherlands, but hope to go there soon. Maybe I'll take my grandsons to Landgoed De Berenkuil when they are a bit older.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 7:05 AM

Very charming and mysterious villages! And West Papua wardance :-) Nature,. bicycles, peace and quiet! I love the picture of "Bargerveen''!

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2006 at 2:15 PM

This page looks very familiar, especially Zeeloo, and the hotel. I guess this should naturally become your best page on VT?

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2006 at 5:54 AM

Ali, I had never heard of the amazing 'Langgraf' before -awesome stuff. The 'Witterzomer' is very interesting - quite a place! My province is covered by peat too, but no Bog People!! Such a beautiful part of Netherlands - now I want to visit here!

• Irinna's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2006 at 12:02 PM

Excellent tips! And I believe it's an ideal place for a kid. Thanks you for ideas about our future travelling. Happy New Year. Irina

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Jan 13, 2006 at 7:23 AM

Industrial wasteland into artistic landscaping is a great idea! We have a few ancient figures in the UK cut out on chalk hillsides like the Long Man of Wilmington`Happy New Year.Tim

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2005 at 7:55 PM

Excellent picture of the long grave. I did not know there were hunebeds in the Netherlands !

• salinhopt's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 10:52 AM

Ali, you world of travels are amazing. You realy show whats inside a city and a country. Its a pleasure to see your pages. Keep the good work. Hope to see you in Madeira soon. Hugs

sachara Used To Live Here!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Provincie Drenthe

Have you been to Provincie Drenthe?

Videos in Provincie Drenthe