"Farafra Oasis & White Desert" Farafra by sachara

Farafra Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 62 photos

... with a camel to the moon ...

In 1999 we visited the Farafra oasis during our trip to the oasis towns of the western desert of Egypt.
For the Bahariya oasis, Dakhla oasis and El Kharga oasis see my pages: Bawiti, El Qasr, Balat & Temple of Amun Ra.

Quasr al-Farafra is the main town of the Farafra oasis. It was an isolated desert village with mud-brick houses. Nowadays you can reach Farafra by tarred road from the Bahariya oasis in the north. Since the tarred road life changes in Farafra, new settlements and facilities appear, but the older people still treasure their old traditions.

North of Qasr al-Farafra is the white desert or Sahra al-Beida.
In 1999 we stayed only for one night in the surrealistic moon landscape of the white desert. An unforgetable experience.
So we decided to visit the white desert again in 2000, but now for three days.
This time we made a cameltrip and slept again in ''the thousands stars hotel''.

• Pros:fairytale landscape
  • Cons:it can be very hot
  • In a nutshell:ali in wonderland
  • Last visit to Farafra: May 2000
  • Intro Updated Aug 5, 2003

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2010 at 5:27 AM

Fascinating!

• Jun 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Interesting: I especially like your sand-painting tip -- that whole process must be something fierce, intriguing, and one-hundred percent worth a trip to Farafra in itself.

• Dec 24, 2006 at 6:06 PM

I purchased a sculpture by Badr in 1999 while on a backpack trip in Egypt. It was destroyed in our recent earthquake. Any idea how to purchase his work?

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 10:41 AM

Great page Ali! Now I absolutly want to visit the white desert (immediatly) and sleep in the "Thusand stars hotel".

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2006 at 9:16 PM

A tarred road is nice for the inhabitants but it spoils definitely the places, which loose a part of their character. I have checked that on several occasions! You are right, coming back to a tarred road after a camel trip is so sad!

• sayedaburas's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2005 at 9:11 PM

Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you , Happy birthday to Ali, Happy birthday to you. :) :X :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2005 at 8:28 AM

A beautiful page Ali ! It must have been fantastic riding camels, sleeping and eating outdoors in such an amazing landscape! Excellent tips as always.

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2005 at 11:13 AM

Lovely desert, hope to do this soon. Thanks for sharing.

• seratonin's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2005 at 12:09 AM

Great pictures on your travelogues! Looks like a splendid landscape! Well done page :-) !

• grets's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 11:43 AM

I hope I enjoy my camel adventure as much as you enjoyed yours - I'm still not convinved though! hehehe

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Riga in May ”

Badges & Stats in Farafra

Have you been to Farafra?

Latest Activity in Farafra