"Farafra Oasis & White Desert" Farafra by sachara
Farafra Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 62 photos
In 1999 we visited the Farafra oasis during our trip to the oasis towns of the western desert of Egypt.
For the Bahariya oasis, Dakhla oasis and El Kharga oasis see my pages: Bawiti, El Qasr, Balat & Temple of Amun Ra.
Quasr al-Farafra is the main town of the Farafra oasis. It was an isolated desert village with mud-brick houses. Nowadays you can reach Farafra by tarred road from the Bahariya oasis in the north. Since the tarred road life changes in Farafra, new settlements and facilities appear, but the older people still treasure their old traditions.
North of Qasr al-Farafra is the white desert or Sahra al-Beida.
In 1999 we stayed only for one night in the surrealistic moon landscape of the white desert. An unforgetable experience.
So we decided to visit the white desert again in 2000, but now for three days.
This time we made a cameltrip and slept again in ''the thousands stars hotel''.
- Pros:fairytale landscape
- Cons:it can be very hot
- In a nutshell:ali in wonderland
When we reached the tarred road at the last day of our desert trip and I saw our bus allready from a far distance, I... more travel advice
The desert kitchen for preparing our last delicious breakfast in the White Desert. Breakfast with bread, tomatos, eggs,... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Farafra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Farafra Oasis & White Desert"
- "Farafra and White Desert"
- "The White Desert"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Farafra
- Hotels in Farafra
- Restaurants in Farafra
- Shopping in Farafra
- Warnings and Dangers in Farafra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Farafra
- 19 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (194)
Have you been to Farafra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Farafra
Photos in FarafraSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues