"Zanzibar Town" Top 5 Page for this destination Zanzibar Town by sachara
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide: 245 reviews and 643 photos
Zanzibar Town or Stone Town is the cultural and historical heart of Zanzibar. Stone Town, locally known as Mji Mkongwe, meaning old town is an UNESCO World Heritage Site. At Zanzibar Africa meets the Orient.
Stone Town is a very fascinating city with an unique atmosphere. In many ways it looks like the medinas of North Africa by its lively bazaars and markets, Arab mansions, but especially by its labyrinth of narrow and twisting streets and alleyways.
Staying in Stone town for six days at the end our trip of three months through Africa was a great choice.
Zanzibar lies in the Indian Ocean, 35 KM off the coast of mainland Tanzania, six degrees south of the Equator.
Stonetown lies at the west coast of Unguja, the largest island of Zanzibar. From Dar es Salaam you can reach Stonetown easily by boat.
We stayed in former Arab mansion, at one of the narrow alleyways. At the roof of the mansion was a bar with great views at the town and surrounding ocean.
When we strolled around in the many alleyways we could feel and see the fusion of cultures. There are mosques, churches, hammans, temples, lively shopping and marketstreets. We especially liked the architecture with its lovely balconies and nicily carved doors.
- In a nutshell:Africa meets the Orient
From Stone Town we visited the south part of the island. The trip over the island to the south was wonderful. The inland... more travel advice
In Zanzibar the baraza bench is very popular allready for centuries, as social meeting point. Everywhere in the streets... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Zanzibar Town Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "STONE TOWN"
- "Zanzibar Town"
- "You have to visit Stone Town"
- "Mji Mkongwe"
- "The Stone Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Zanzibar Town
- Hotels in Zanzibar Town
- Transportation in Zanzibar Town
- Nightlife in Zanzibar Town
- Restaurants in Zanzibar Town
- Shopping in Zanzibar Town
- Warnings and Dangers in Zanzibar Town
- See All...
Explore the World
- Corpus Christi
- Grosse Pointe Farms Hotels
- Crete Island
- Bear Island Hotels
- Headlands Beach State Park Hotels
- Minorca Island
- Bonneville Salt Flats State Park Hotels
- Shanagolden Hotels
- Moscow Hotels
- Departamento de Islas de la Bahía
- Half Moon Bay
Badges & Stats in Zanzibar Town
- 38 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Zanzibar Town?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Zanzibar Town
Photos in Zanzibar TownSee All Photos (49)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues