"Rissani" Top 5 Page for this destination Rissani by sachara

Rissani Travel Guide: 82 reviews and 319 photos

My first encounter with Africa and the desert.

A never ending love....

In 1975 I travelled for the first time to the African continent. In Risssani I walked for the first time on my own in a town at the edge of the desert, looking at the market and souqs and practicing my first skills in bargaining.

Here starts my love for the desert and Africa. I returned many times to this continent and my love grew with every visit.

First in 2008 I came back to Rissani. A lot has changed, but I also still recognized the same atmosphere which captured me the first time.

• Last visit to Rissani: Jan 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 19, 2008

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Your travels are just amazing Ali! Places I have never even heard of, like this Rissani place...very nice adventures! A donkey trade!~ Norman :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 28, 2008 at 7:42 PM

Ali, I really enjoyed this glimpse into your early days in Africa, especially your reactions to the Erg Chebbi sand dune! It was interesting too to observe the many changes since then - great adventures you had there!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2007 at 12:03 PM

I hope Rissani and Erg Chebbi look as good today as they did in 1975. Can't wait to see this part of Morocco.

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 8:53 PM

Hi sachara seen yr other good pages, but Erg Chebbi's trail is well beaten now!! Oct1975, I renvy you ;-)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2005 at 12:55 PM

You are right, the first encounter with the desert remains printed for ever. Mine was in 1973 in the Hogar. "You bargain like a Berber"! That is indeed the best possible compliment !

• zrim's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2005 at 5:45 PM

To bargain like a Berber you must be very skilled indeed. Great fun looking at your old photos from the 70s.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2004 at 5:53 AM

Very interesting page and photos. Now I see where it all started.

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2004 at 8:37 AM

Very interesting. I'm going to visit Morocco at the present year.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2004 at 3:36 PM

Ali, I visited the same market 23 years after you, believe me, it didn't change much :-), look at the picture on my Morocco page!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2003 at 2:01 PM

Interesting.

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Rissani

Have you been to Rissani?

Latest Activity in Rissani