"Benghazi" Top 5 Page for this destination Benghazi by sachara

Benghazi Travel Guide: 68 reviews and 327 photos

Benghazi is the second large city of Libya. In the old city we visited the area close to the lighthouse, the only place where you can find some remains from the ancient times.

Close to the lighthouse is the Acacus house with a small ethnographical museum, an exhibition of wooden sculptures made by a local artist and a nicily furnished room where you can drink tea and order local dishes.

From here you are also almost in the covered souqs, a nice area to stroll around for a while. I always enjoy the souqs because of their lifely atmosphere at one hand and to find out about the daily life by what they are selling at the other hand.

We ended our walk close to the square with the historical townhall. En route we walked through many alleyways and saw a lot of mosques built in different styles. Close to the townhall is a renovated arcaded shopping street where we found even an African souvenirshops.

• Last visit to Benghazi: Mar 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2010

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I have never been to Libya, so this was a good introduction for me. Just last night I read a page by another VT member who has the theory that the best way to get to know a new country is to visit its second largest city.

• sachara's Profile Photo
      Apr 17, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Don, nice you visited my Benghazi page. Benghazi is very different from Tripoli.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2012 at 12:13 PM

This city has had a time of it since its commerce days many centuries ago. Out TV features it many times regarding the back and forth during WWII and conquering lands here. You certainly described the sites very nicely

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2010 at 9:20 AM

I really want to visit Libya some day! I really enjoyed all your descriptions and great photos. Loved the wooden sculptures in the Akakos House and scenery around the Jebel Akbar, and I agree - souks are always wonderful to explore!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2010 at 10:13 AM

Wow... cool tips of hot Libya. Thanks for sharing. SL :)

• EuromeetKrakow2010's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2010 at 3:43 PM

Wonderful page, Ali! Your numerous pictures say more than any words. I like a lot wooden sculptures at the Akakos House! I also like your transportation tip - great to here you survived it!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Benghazi

Have you been to Benghazi?

Latest Activity in Benghazi