Kitale Local Custom Tips by sachara
Kitale Local Customs: 4 reviews and 4 photos
Many Pokot do live still very traditional with their goats, patinated gourds of milk or booze and tamarind seeds. They use also headrests, stools, wrist-knife and fingerknife.
In the compound we saw a woman with a calebas container, but we didn't really understand what she was doing or preparing. She couldn't explain us herself. JLBG's idea is that she's probably churning butter.
herbs for the ceremony
The Pokot still have a lot of ceremonies. The elders of the community are making prayings and offerings. The medicine man has a significant role in maintaining the spiritual balance within the community. And feasts and dances are held to thank the deities for the generosity.
We attended a ceremony, where a special kind of herbs was used together with very muddy water. It was fascinating to see it and to feel the atmosphere, though we didn't know exactly what the meaning was.
name´s giving ceremony
In one of the huts in the compound of the Pokot people, where we were introduced, we were asked to attend a ceremony.
In the hut a medicine man and some elders of the community were gathered for a name's giving ceremony. The mother with her child was also sitting in the hut, watching the ceremony and waiting for what would happen.
Pokot woman grinding the corn
The Pokot people have still some traditional local lifestyles. The cow people are not only milking their cows, but take also their blood.
The corn people are still grinding their corn with traditional tools of stone. A woman in the conmpound showed how to do this work, like their ancestors did allready for centuries.
More Reviews (20)
sachara's Related Pages
Kitale Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Kitale
- 24 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (195)
Have you been to Kitale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kitale
Photos in KitaleSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues