"Kitale" Kitale by sachara

Kitale Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 39 photos

Kitale is a regional town in the western highlands of Kenya. It;s a good base to visit Mount Elgon near the border with Uganda and the area north of Kitale with Pkot villages and the Saiwa Swamp National Park

In 1994 we visited Mount Elgon National Park about 26 KM west of Kitale. Mount Elgon is an extinct volcano of 4320 M high and extending in diameter a distance of 100 KM.

In 2004 we visited the area north of Kitale. Here you can find the traditional villages of the Pokot people.

• Last visit to Kitale: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 26, 2004

• Mar 13, 2012 at 8:50 AM

tell me more about the Barnley farm. I am related to the Barnley family who went to live in Kenya. Are they any Barnley grandchildren there?
    David Hutchinson
    hutchdavandnan@aol.com

• Simiyu's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2009 at 12:10 PM

So beutiful to see this.Im sorry you had to spend on a new matress.Its vital to stock up on medicine.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Wow... great tips on the National Park and local customs. Simply marvellous to view your pages.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 10:07 PM

It is amazing how Mount Elgon National Park campground looks almost like Scotland! The ceremony with the medicine man is impressive! I wonder if your Pokot woman with a calebas container might not have been churning butter?

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Always inspiring to read your tips with great tips! Hope I can visit such places with my daughter when she is a bit older. I'm not a Sprin chicken myself so hope I will have the stamina!.Tim ":*¨`*:·:*.隐形的 ღ (~_~)♫♫"

• Mar 8, 2005 at 3:20 PM

Beware the Ebola!

• Maline's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2004 at 9:45 AM

An Olof Palme agricenter in Kitale? How tremendously cool!! I LOVE your photos, they are so full of life!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 8, 2004 at 2:23 PM

Wonderful photos of the Elephant Caves! I had heard of them but never really knew their location! Your lodgings all look great and the customs and appearance of the Pokot people are amazing! Well done!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 3:12 AM

Great Pokot story and life, lovely page Alije dear ;-)

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Oct 22, 2004 at 2:51 AM

Fantastic start, Ali! Love the pictures and the good tips! Keep up the good work! I hope everything is well in Emmen!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Kitale