"Maralal" Maralal by sachara

Maralal Travel Guide: 27 reviews and 46 photos

Land of the Samburu

Maralal, the main centre for Samburu people, is a town in the north of Kenya, surrounded by the grassy hills of the Maralal National Sanctuary. From the road, leading to Maralal, you can see many zebras and impalas.

Maralal is known of the annual Maralal International Camel Derby in August.

• Last visit to Maralal: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Oct 9, 2004

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2011 at 8:37 AM

Maralal, a fine town I have some fond memories of visiting the place several years back. Enjoyed your photos.

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Superb pictures of the Samburu women with their necklaces and ear rings! Great records from your exciting camel race! Too bad you did not run the third round!

• grets's Profile Photo
    Oct 21, 2004 at 11:54 AM

LOVED your story about the camel racing! I shan't be doing any racing myself, but I will think of you and your white camel as I stroll through the desert......

• BarbaraForza's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 11:19 PM

A camel race...it must have been a great fun being there...and quite interesting meeting the lady of the compound! as always you share with us very impressive pics accompanied with excellent comments on your experience...thanks my dear Ali!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 12:54 PM

Another amazing page - what vivid colours in your photos of the peoples clothing and jewelry! That camel race must be one of your best memories of Africa - well done!!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 6:58 AM

I agree with Simone ;-) and I like the camel adventure LOL

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 5:22 AM

Fantastic page Ali! I enjoyed reading it a lot! Your photos of the Samburu woman are absolutely beautiful! And it was fun to read about the camelrace :-)) Pitty that you didn't win.

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Riga in May ”

Badges & Stats in Maralal

Have you been to Maralal?

Latest Activity in Maralal