"Accra" Top 5 Page for this destination Accra by sachara
Accra Travel Guide: 300 reviews and 1,185 photos
My first experience arriving in Accra....
The first time when I arrived at the airport some guys of Volu (the Ghanaian Voluntary Organisation) picked me up from the airport. They brought me in the dark to a secondary school where I could sleep. At the moment I arrived it was totally dark, there was no electricity and there was nobody around in the school. The guys left me there and said to me 'You are totally safe here. We will come back in the morning and show you where you are'.
I looked for a bed in one of the unlocked dormitories and tried to sleep and experienced 'how dark Africa and can be'. There was no light and no noise till in the night I heard some people walking up the stairs. They entered my dormitory with a flashlight to look who has sneaked in. I found out that they were also European volunteers just coming back home and sleeping in of the dormitories nextdoor.
After a few weeks coming back from the voluntary project I made a lot of friends and could stay with Ghanaian volunteers and their families all over the country. So I did in back Accra and Madina just north of Accra. The hospitality of the Ghanaian people was absolutily amazing.
Accra is a lifely city. All the four times I came to Ghana I stayed in Accra for a few days or longer. The more often I came back, the more I liked the city. It's a rather easygoing place.
The last time in 2003 I came to Accra only for two days at the start of my Africa overland trip. In those two days I could see that since my first visits in the 1980s a lot has changed. A pity I couldn't meet any of my old friends. I knew that some moved out of the country, of some I lost the addresses and some died.
In 1980 I visited Ghana for the first time, participating in a voluntary project. Volu, the Ghanaian Voluntary... more travel advice
The first times I visited Ghana I learned to eat all kind of Ghanaian food. During the voluntary projects we cooked... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Accra Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Accra, sóóó Ghana"
- "My beloved Accra"
- "Accra, the capital of Ghana"
- "Capital of Ghana"
- "Ghana: respect, my brotha!!!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Accra
- Hotels in Accra
- Transportation in Accra
- Nightlife in Accra
- Restaurants in Accra
- Shopping in Accra
- Warnings and Dangers in Accra
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Accra
- 10 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (195)
Have you been to Accra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Accra
Photos in AccraSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues