"Accra" Top 5 Page for this destination Accra by sachara

Accra Travel Guide: 289 reviews and 760 photos

where my Subsaharean African adventure started...

My first experience arriving in Accra....
The first time when I arrived at the airport some guys of Volu (the Ghanaian Voluntary Organisation) picked me up from the airport. They brought me in the dark to a secondary school where I could sleep. At the moment I arrived it was totally dark, there was no electricity and there was nobody around in the school. The guys left me there and said to me 'You are totally safe here. We will come back in the morning and show you where you are'.
I looked for a bed in one of the unlocked dormitories and tried to sleep and experienced 'how dark Africa and can be'. There was no light and no noise till in the night I heard some people walking up the stairs. They entered my dormitory with a flashlight to look who has sneaked in. I found out that they were also European volunteers just coming back home and sleeping in of the dormitories nextdoor.

After a few weeks coming back from the voluntary project I made a lot of friends and could stay with Ghanaian volunteers and their families all over the country. So I did in back Accra and Madina just north of Accra. The hospitality of the Ghanaian people was absolutily amazing.

Accra is a lifely city. All the four times I came to Ghana I stayed in Accra for a few days or longer. The more often I came back, the more I liked the city. It's a rather easygoing place.

The last time in 2003 I came to Accra only for two days at the start of my Africa overland trip. In those two days I could see that since my first visits in the 1980s a lot has changed. A pity I couldn't meet any of my old friends. I knew that some moved out of the country, of some I lost the addresses and some died.

• Last visit to Accra: Dec 2003
  • Intro Updated Feb 17, 2007

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 11:32 AM

Great page on Accra. This is a place I know little about. Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

• jadedmuse's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Your VOLU experience sounds like it really molded you. Congrats. The photo of the two kids sleeping on the chair is one of the best pictures I've ever seen. It's beautiful.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Excellent impressions of your first taste of Africa! It must have been exciting to live with and learn the ways of the locals. I remember having to use telegrams for 'instant messaging' back then! Great Accoms tips, those 2 trucks later served you well!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2007 at 12:57 PM

Very interesting tips. I like especially local custom tip on Ghanaian food. I'd like to try fufu, groundnut soup and others but exclusively cooked by you :-)

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Accra