"Bolgatanga in the upper east" Bolgatanga by sachara

Bolgatanga Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 69 photos

In 1983 I visited Bolgatanga for two weeks.
It was a difficult time in Ghana. Lack of petrol and tyres, so transportation was a big problem. Travelling with local lorries, as I did in 1980 was nearly impossible. On route you could have to wait for one week or more for new transport.
So I decided not to visit some of my Ghanaian friends, spread over the country, but to stay in Acrra and to choose only one other destination. So I took the bus of the State Transport to the north, to Bolgatanga. They told me that bus will take you - death or alive- anyhow to your destination.
There was curfew in those days, so it was forbidden to be outdoors from sunset till sunrise. At sunset the bus had to stop and together with the trading women I looked for a sleeping place outside the bus, mostly under a porch of some building to spend the night.
And I did arrive in more than 24 hours in Bolga and I did return in Accra at the same way without any problems.

Volu (the Ghanaian Voluntary Organisation) invited me to their projects. So I could sleep in a secondary school together with the other mainly Ghanaian volunteers . The secretary of Volu in Bolga introduced my to his neighbour-girl Francesca. I spent a really nice time with her. She showed me everything in town, so I knew better my way and the small bushpaths than my Ghanaian fellow-volunteers.
I had a wonderfull time in Bolga and met a lot of nice people.

• Last visit to Bolgatanga: Aug 1983
  • Intro Updated Aug 23, 2003

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Mar 1, 2007 at 9:37 PM

I like a lot your open-air kitchen! You had in this place a fantastic experience. Did you visit again Bolgatanga to know how tall were now the trees (and the girls!)?

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 2:54 AM

What a fantastic experience, Ali! This is something that nobody can take away from you! I like your two temporary daughters!

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2004 at 3:10 AM

Sister Francesca is a beautiful woman, and I like so much the other beautiful woman next to her, the one coming from NL ;-D

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 18, 2004 at 6:13 AM

Ali, you really have had some great adventures in your African travels! Yes, I too remember sleeping in a secondary school many years ago in Chipata, eastern Zambia!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2003 at 9:18 AM

Ali - your approach on reporting this part of the world is so non-touristic and special - a pearl to read and i enjoy every page !Great

• irisbe's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2003 at 11:49 PM

Aren't we all sisters and brothers :-) What a wonderful story you shared with us again Ali! So straight from the heart!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Aug 3, 2003 at 12:57 AM

What a wonderful connection you have to this area!! Thanks for sharing!

• shdw100's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2003 at 6:33 AM

What a facinating page! Wonderful pictures and explanations!

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Bolgatanga

Have you been to Bolgatanga?

Latest Activity in Bolgatanga