"Bolgatanga in the upper east" Bolgatanga by sachara
Bolgatanga Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 69 photos
In 1983 I visited Bolgatanga for two weeks.
It was a difficult time in Ghana. Lack of petrol and tyres, so transportation was a big problem. Travelling with local lorries, as I did in 1980 was nearly impossible. On route you could have to wait for one week or more for new transport.
So I decided not to visit some of my Ghanaian friends, spread over the country, but to stay in Acrra and to choose only one other destination. So I took the bus of the State Transport to the north, to Bolgatanga. They told me that bus will take you - death or alive- anyhow to your destination.
There was curfew in those days, so it was forbidden to be outdoors from sunset till sunrise. At sunset the bus had to stop and together with the trading women I looked for a sleeping place outside the bus, mostly under a porch of some building to spend the night.
And I did arrive in more than 24 hours in Bolga and I did return in Accra at the same way without any problems.
Volu (the Ghanaian Voluntary Organisation) invited me to their projects. So I could sleep in a secondary school together with the other mainly Ghanaian volunteers . The secretary of Volu in Bolga introduced my to his neighbour-girl Francesca. I spent a really nice time with her. She showed me everything in town, so I knew better my way and the small bushpaths than my Ghanaian fellow-volunteers.
I had a wonderfull time in Bolga and met a lot of nice people.
These two girls lived behind the school with their aunt. Adjoa asked me , if I liked to be her mother during my stay in... more travel advice
South of the centre of Bolgatanga is the secundary school. Here I could stay fro two weeks, together with the other... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Bolgatanga Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Bolgatanga in the upper east"
- "Bolga, the most Northern city of Ghana"
- "Bolgatanga and Northeast Ghana"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bolgatanga
- Hotels in Bolgatanga
- Transportation in Bolgatanga
- Restaurants in Bolgatanga
- Shopping in Bolgatanga
- Warnings and Dangers in Bolgatanga
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bolgatanga
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (104)
Have you been to Bolgatanga?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bolgatanga
Photos in BolgatangaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 68 reviews, 355 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues