"Elmina" Elmina by sachara
Elmina Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 221 photos
How cruel history can be....
Elmina has a fort and a castle.
The St George's castle is built by the Portuguese in 1482 and captured by the Dutch in 1637. Till 1872 (then the english took over) the castle was the african headquarter of the Dutch West Indies Company. When the trade of slaves became more lucrative than gold, both castle and fort were expanded and transformed for the slave-trading. The Dutch have exported more than 65.000 slaves from here.
In the castle you can visit the former slave quarters, the dungeons and the quarters of the governor.
Like 9 years ago in the fort of Cape Coast I was impressed by the cruel history.
Nowadays Elmina is a lifely fishing-village, nice to stroll around and chat with Ghanaians, some with dutch names.
If you make a walk around the town, there are some beautifull views at the town, the lifely lagoon and the Fort St Jago... more travel advice
The lagoon of Elmina is always crowded with fishing boats. It's very scenic. What I like most, are the different bright... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Elmina Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Elmina, Dutch remains in Ghana"
- "elmina castle"
- "Elmina...my favorite place on Earth!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Elmina
- Hotels in Elmina
- Transportation in Elmina
- Restaurants in Elmina
- Shopping in Elmina
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Elmina
- 9 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (195)
Have you been to Elmina?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Elmina
Photos in ElminaSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues