"Aksum and Debre Damo" Top 5 Page for this destination Axum by sachara

Axum Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 593 photos

In the north of Ethiopia, near the border with Eritrea, we visited Aksum, Debre Damo and Adrigat.

Aksum is known of its inscripted stelae, underground tombs and ruins of palaces.
Aksum is a World Heritage Site. Aksum is one of the most important ancient sites in sub-Saharian Africa. Once the town formed part of the great Aksumite kingdom. This kingdom is described as ''the last of the great civilisations of Antiquity to be revealed to modern knowledge''

Nowadays Aksum is a rural town with about 27.000 inhabitants.
Walking around in the streets and at the market, you can hardly imagine that the town was ever part of a great civilisation.

Debre Damo

The monastery of Debre Damo is situated at a 2800 M high flat mountain. Only male visitors are allowed to enter. They can reach the monastery by rope.
Debre Damo lies around 86 KM north east of Aksum

• Last visit to Axum: Feb 2004
  • Intro Updated May 26, 2004

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2006 at 10:02 PM

Amazing monoliths! From a distance, they look almost like concrete electric pillars! The male only visit with the help of a rope must be something very exciting (for those allowed to do it!). Ethiopia is one of my dreams!

• grets's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2004 at 5:26 AM

If I ever get to Debre Damo, I'm glad I'm a woman, not having to prove I'm strong/brave climbing up the rope! :-) Fascinating pages Ali, thanks.

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 9:10 AM

Ethopia - I am just dreaming of. What an adventure!!!

• LotusV8's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 6:18 AM

Very interesting to read about Aksum, I hope that I will visit more of Africa some day. Thanks for the insights!

• conny_bazen's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2004 at 3:27 PM

Prachtige page, Ali !! Sinds ik het boek van Frank van Rijn heb gelezen en nu weer jouw foto's en tips weet ik zeker dat ik ook Ethiopie een keer moet bezoeken.......

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 18, 2004 at 3:24 PM

Fascinating destination and wonderful page and pictures!

• Intrepidduck's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2004 at 9:57 PM

Ethiopia facinates me and I am planning on cycling it as there is so much to see - Great page!

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2004 at 6:56 AM

B....E....A....U....T.....I.....F.....U.....L Page!!! I think I would love it in Aksum!!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2004 at 1:40 AM

Debre Damos !!! A superb page and info on Asum Ali !!! Thx for sharing

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2004 at 5:14 AM

I enjoyed this page a lot, both the beautiful photos and the detailed descriptions.

sachara

“if you are in a hurry, make a detour, Djibouti and Somaliland in april ”

Badges & Stats in Axum