"Aksum and Debre Damo" Top 5 Page for this destination Axum by sachara
Axum Travel Guide: 106 reviews and 593 photos
In the north of Ethiopia, near the border with Eritrea, we visited Aksum, Debre Damo and Adrigat.
Aksum is known of its inscripted stelae, underground tombs and ruins of palaces.
Aksum is a World Heritage Site. Aksum is one of the most important ancient sites in sub-Saharian Africa. Once the town formed part of the great Aksumite kingdom. This kingdom is described as ''the last of the great civilisations of Antiquity to be revealed to modern knowledge''
Nowadays Aksum is a rural town with about 27.000 inhabitants.
Walking around in the streets and at the market, you can hardly imagine that the town was ever part of a great civilisation.
The monastery of Debre Damo is situated at a 2800 M high flat mountain. Only male visitors are allowed to enter. They can reach the monastery by rope.
Debre Damo lies around 86 KM north east of Aksum
Leaving Aksum early in the morning in the direction of Adwa, Debre Damos and Adrigat, we drove on a good road in a... more travel advice
Walking in the centre of Aksum, but also of other Ethiopian and African towns, I enjoy to look at the many streetstalls,... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Axum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Aksum and Debre Damo"
- "HOME OF THE ARK OF THE COVENANT"
- "Aksum - The Oldest City In Ethiopia"
- "The tourist capital of the north"
- "Ancient Capital of Abyssinia..."
- "City of obelisks and the stolen Arch"
- "AXUM VILLAGE"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Axum
- Hotels in Axum
- Transportation in Axum
- Restaurants in Axum
- Shopping in Axum
- Warnings and Dangers in Axum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Axum
- 24 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (102)
Have you been to Axum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Axum
Photos in AxumSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 70 reviews, 365 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues