"Gonder" Top 5 Page for this destination Gonder by sachara
Gonder Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 581 photos
Gondar is attractive because of its churches and castles. Gondar became the residence of emperor Fasilades and his successors and capital of the country, starting in 1636, for the next 200 years. The Gonderine period is one of the most colourful ones of Ethiopia's history. Gondar is an UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The fortress city of Fasil Ghebby, the Royal Enclosure, is surrounded by a impressive wall of 900 M long. The enclosed area of about 75.000 sq Ms contains the recent restored Fasilades Palace, the Palace of Iyasu, the library, the chancellary, remains of a bathing pool, a lions house and more.
The buildings have Hindu and Arab influences, but you can also recognize the Baroque style, brought to Gondar by the Jesuit missionaires.
Outside of town lies Fasiladas bath It's a lovely and peaceful place. Around the bath, empty at the time of our visit, is a wall, at some places covered with the roots of the surrounding trees.
Visiting this almost serene place, you can hardly imagine the crowds, visiting this place at the Timkat ceremony.
In the north part of Gonder lies the Debre Berhan Selasssi Church, meaning ''Trinity at the Mount of Light'', one of the most famous churches of the country, because of its ceiling. At this ceiling you will see the heads of 80 Ethiopian Cherubs. All the faces have a different expression.
From Gonder you can reach Debark and the Simien Mountains in about 3 hours. There is a daily bus from Gonder to Debark... more travel advice
From Gonder we left early in the morning to Debark and the Simien Mountains. Because the restaurant of our hotel was... more travel advice
sachara's Related Pages
Gonder Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "FASIL'S CASTLE"
- "Gonder is a real wonder!"
- "The Camelot of Africa"
- "Gondar – Africa`s Chamelot"
- "A good vibe"
- "Edinburgh of Ethiopia!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gonder
- Hotels in Gonder
- Transportation in Gonder
- Nightlife in Gonder
- Restaurants in Gonder
- Shopping in Gonder
- Warnings and Dangers in Gonder
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gonder
- 20 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (195)
Have you been to Gonder?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gonder
Photos in GonderSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 100 reviews, 388 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Africa Intro, 72 reviews, 375 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Morocco Intro, 82 reviews, 313 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mauritania Intro, 88 reviews, 296 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rotterdam Intro, 70 reviews, 304 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Agadir Intro, 58 reviews, 282 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Timbuktu Intro, 36 reviews, 236 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Madeira Island Intro, 83 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination The Gambia Intro, 89 reviews, 159 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Libya Intro, 41 reviews, 192 photos, 2 travelogues